Tax preparers don’t just work during tax season and take the rest of the year off; they’re on call all year long, and their employers need candidates who can stay flexible and solve small problems before they become big ones. Employers in this field need a wide array of both people skills and financial skills. If you have what it takes to succeed, you’ll need to show off your flexibility and versatility with a strong resume. Use this tax preparer resume example as a guide and divide your document into distinct sections highlighting your education, skills, and relevant experience.
Resume Tips for Tax Preparers
If you are looking for jobs as a tax preparer, you will use the same job search methods that you would for other positions. This includes educating yourself about the local job market and properly preparing for the ever-important interview. Here are some simple yet highly effective tips for finding your dream job.
1. Updating and editing your resume is one of the easiest ways to simplify your job search. A well-written resume is the key to getting hired, and there is no such thing as being too concerned with your resume. If you need help, try consulting a job coach.
2. Before embarking on your hunt, you should make sure that you are adequately prepared for an interview. This is the most important part of the process, and a bad interview can easily dash your chances of success. Research a list of commonly asked interview questions, and practice answering them.
3. Oftentimes, your network of family, friends, and close acquaintances can be a spectacular resource during your job search. These people may have knowledge of unlisted jobs that you may be eligible for.
4. After losing your old job, it is easy to get discouraged or unfocused. This is why taking personal responsibility for your job search is imperative. The more motivated you are, the quicker you will find employment.
5. Self-employment may sound like a pipe dream to many, but it can be a viable option for many unemployed professionals. If you have marketable skills or knowledge, you may be able to go into business for yourself.
Tax Preparer Advice
No matter what part of the country you reside in, a professional-looking resume can increase your chances of landing a job interview. Regardless of your industry or background, employers will decide whether or not you are qualified based on the information on your resume. Here are some helpful hints for writing the perfect resume.
1. When looking for jobs as a tax preparer, always remember to include your contact information. Your name, phone number, address, location, and e-mail address should be listed somewhere near the top of your resume.
2. Although it can seem tempting at times, you should avoid lying on your resume. The vast majority of employers will perform an accurate and thorough background check to ensure that the information on your resume is true. If you lie or exaggerate, potential employers will find out sooner or later.
3. Phrases like “responsible for” or “duties include” make your resume sound repetitive and impersonal. You should attempt to use unique language and sentence structure when writing your resume. This will help you stand out and seem more professional.
4. Despite the fact that there are exceptions, job seekers should try to limit their resume to two pages or less. Overwhelming potential employers with unnecessary and irrelevant information can actually reduce your chances of finding a job. Remember, when it comes to resumes, be concise yet informative.
5. A summary section or professional profile will give readers a comprehensive overview of your background and abilities. This section is your first chance to impress, so you should remember to use captivating language that will grab the attention of hiring managers.
Tax Preparer Job Seeking Tips
A professional tax preparer will always be in high demand–especially around April, when taxes are due! To become a tax preparer, you’ll need specialized training and courses, plus a compelling resume. We’ve compiled several resume examples for tax preparers below. Click on any of these resume examples for the guidance you’ll need to build a winning, professional resume that will help you land the job you want in this competitive but highly sought-after career field.
No Experience Tax Preparer Resume
Want to use this resume?
There are plenty of opportunities to land a Tax Preparer job position, but it won’t just be handed to you. Crafting a Tax Preparer resume that catches the attention of hiring managers is paramount to getting the job, and LiveCareer is here to help you stand out from the competition.