Use this professional created Public Relations Specialist job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Public relations specialists work on behalf of a company to maintain a positive public image. This entails preparing press releases, communicating with the press and arranging interviews between the media and executives at the company. Media specialists also evaluate data concerning public opinion and develop proactive approaches to improving opinion.
Your public relations specialist job description needs to declare that applicants must have a bachelor’s degree in business, communications, journalism or English. Previous relevant experience, such as an internship at a public relations firm, is good but not always essential.
Applicants must have exceptional writing and speaking skills because the PR specialist will be communicating with the public all the time. Other advantageous traits include problem-solving, organizational and interpersonal skills.
Public Relations Specialist Job Description Template
Our company is seeking talented people who can effectively tell a captivating story to the public. We need you to join our team as our next public relations specialist in our marketing department. If you are a skilled writer with additional gifts in developing a brand or company’s identity, we want you. In this role, you will experience the fast-paced world of public relations and work with many different types of media outlets in developing a client’s message while expanding your understanding of public relations and making valuable professional connections. Your position will constantly look for ways to help spread the word about an individual or a company by using creative means, including content, events, interviews and more.
- Craft detailed press releases and written communications tools for media outlets when necessary to help develop a strategic narrative that creates marketing opportunities.
- Create a public relations plan for a client or an organization by analyzing goals and current business capabilities to help shape the media’s perception of a company.
- Communicate with members of the media when needed by providing relevant and positive information about the client or company when asked.
- Maintain an online presence for an organization by regularly developing and adding to original content that continues to present the company in a positive light.
- Strategize a response to crisis events when needed so damage to the company’s reputation remains minimal and the public’s perception of the organization can go back to a more upbeat view.
- Schedule media appearances, press conferences, speeches and other public speaking events with an appropriate spokesperson for the company to help develop a strong brand image.
- Partner with members of the advertising or marketing team to develop a cohesive monthly promotional campaign that aims to help an organization increase profits or public approval.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, marketing, journalism or similar field
- Excellent ability to communicate in writing and speaking
- Ability to meet deadlines and work on several projects at once
- Positive attitude and strength as a team player
- Two or more years of experience in public relations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office