Use this professional created Special Education Teacher job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Every school needs at least one special education teacher, an educator who specializes in adapting general lessons to accommodate physical, emotional, mental and learning disabilities. This teacher needs to keep detailed records of child progress and make necessary modifications to lesson plans. Classroom duties can vary between specialties but include providing support and mentoring to students.
Knowledge of and passion for education is a must for a special education teacher. Education required includes learning about different disabilities and what form of presentation reaches certain students. A special education teacher job description should specify how many years of assistant teaching is required for the position.
Interpersonal skills are important for any teacher, special education teachers included. Also required are communication and critical thinking skills. Working in this environment also requires patience and the ability to make quick decisions.
Special Education Teacher Job Description Template
Do you have a goal of facilitating the best academic experience for special needs children? Join our team as a special education teacher and help our institution provide outstanding coursework to all students, including those with learning disabilities or other special needs. You will have a chance to use your expertise in behavior modification and instruction techniques to develop positive changes in your students’ academic and social development. Become part of a team that includes our special education instructors and assistants, classroom teachers, guidance counselors, administrative staff and social workers to provide the best environment for each student. You will also use your organizational skills to keep detailed records of each student’s progress as detailed by our policy and governmental regulations.
- Provide academic instruction to special needs students in a variety of subjects using evidence-based techniques such as multisensory learning, repetition or phonetics.
- Create individualized programs for students based on their specific needs to promote learning and social development.
- Communicate educational plans to parents, teachers, administrators, social workers and others involved with the student’s progress.
- Utilize positive reinforcement and behavior modification to instruct students in socially acceptable behavior to reduce incidents and maintain order.
- Keep records of all special needs students that adhere to local, state and federal guidelines to remain compliant.
- Coordinate with teachers to modify the curriculum to provide a more effective learning environment for special needs students to improve their potential.
- Administer tests to assist in diagnosing certain learning disabilities and to monitor the progress of each student.
- Instruct students in one or more subjects using discussions, lectures, demonstrations and other instructional tools to improve their grasp on the subject matter.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in special education or related field
- 3-5 years’ experience as a special education teacher
- Valid teaching credentials
- Excellent oral and verbal communication skills
- Training in behavioral analysis and modification
- Proven problem-solving skills