English Teacher Job Description Writing and Posting in 3 Easy Steps
Use this professional created English Teacher job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
English teachers instruct students in middle and high schools and higher education establishments. Depending upon their grade level, they may specialize in focused areas, such as British literature, or they may teach many different subjects related to English. Some English teachers also teach journalism, yearbook publishing, drama or specialized writing classes.
Your English teacher job description should describe educational and certification requirements. Because English teachers must develop detailed lesson plans, grade tests and assess students’ abilities, they should be detail-oriented. Good candidates also are decisive and able to establish discipline.
Discuss needed personality traits as well as technical abilities in your job description. English teachers must be patient. They should have excellent communication and interpersonal skills to work individually with students as well as develop relationships with students, parents, other staff and administrators.
English Teacher Job Description Template
Share your love of learning and the English language with students in their most impressionable years with a job as an English teacher. Give students a successful foundation of the rules of grammar and language to build on throughout the rest of their educational careers. Teach them to love literature and poetry in ways that will always stick with them. As an English teacher, you have the opportunity to reach out to students in truly unique ways and have a positive influence on their future. Prepare your students for the real world with applicable, real-life knowledge that allows them to explore their educational and professional dreams.
- Set high academic standards for every student in the class while still adapting to the individual needs of each child.
- Prepare lesson plans in advance that teach core objectives and principles that are relevant to future education, also showing students how this knowledge is useful in the real world.
- Teach several different classes of students the rules of grammar, punctuation, spelling and other nuances of the English language.
- Track and report performance data to determine where changes need to be made and which strategies and methods are working.
- Attend weekly staff meetings to address unique situations or problems with individual students so you can adapt your lesson plans to meet their needs.
- Develop stable, solid relationships with students with appropriate boundaries so they know you are available to help them when they need it.
- Promote parent/teacher/student associations and encourage students and their guardians to get involved in the community and in the school.
- Attend special events held by the school and engage with students and their parents in an appropriate, friendly way.
- Bachelor’s degree in English teaching
- State certification and licensing to be a qualified English teacher
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job, including sitting and standing for long periods of time
- Master’s degree in education
- Previous experience teaching English
CREATE MY JOB DESCRIPTION
View More Education Job Descriptions