Use this professional created Groundskeeper job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Groundskeepers are responsible for maintaining the landscape of a business or park. Essential duties include mowing lawns, removing weeds, trimming shrubs, planting new greenery and removing unwanted trees. Ensuring walkways remain clear is another important task.
All groundskeepers need to be licensed to work in the state. If you need your new groundskeeper to work on trees, then your groundskeeper job description should state that certification from the Tree Care Industry Association is mandatory. Previous experience working in horticulture and landscape design is also advantageous.
Groundskeepers need physical stamina to work on a lawn for hours at a time. Minimal supervision is generally given, so being self-motivated is another important trait.
Groundskeeper Job Description Template
If you love the great outdoors and working hard with your hands for fair compensation, then the job of groundskeeper is ideal for you. Groundskeepers maintain and improve the landscapes around buildings and facilities, making sure that the place in question always looks its best. In addition, groundskeepers are responsible for removing snow, keeping walkways from becoming slippery during the rain, and spotting other potential dangers around the building. The health and safety of employees and guests alike is in the hands of the groundskeeper. You will get the chance to use a variety of practical skills as a groundskeeper, including carpentry, masonry, gardening, electrical engineering, and plumbing, all of which are valuable in day-to-day life and increasingly rare in the United States.
- Clean interior and exterior areas of buildings on our campus on a daily basis, as well as performing additional seasonal cleaning tasks.
- Pick up and remove trash and debris from the property and dispose of it appropriately on a daily basis.
- Conduct regular maintenance on HVAC, plumbing, electrical systems, appliances, or other systems in the facility as required.
- Carry out regular maintenance on structures, including carpentry and masonry work to repair damaged floors and walls.
- Remove snow in winter conditions and keep outdoor areas safe during bad weather, including spreading deicer on walkways and steps.
- Perform light excavation, using shovels, picks and other tools to dig trenches and level ground.
- Maintain landscape and garden areas by planting grass, trimming trees and bushes, and fertilizing flowers and other plants.
- Contact the appropriate technicians and specialists for maintenance jobs that the groundskeeper cannot do alone.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Familiarity with at least one of the following: electrical engineering, carpentry, plumbing, HVAC or similar
- High school diploma or GED
- Ability to work independently
- Able to communicate effectively with staff and visitors to the facility
- At least one year experience in maintenance or a skilled trade
- English language proficiency