Use this professional created School Principal job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
School principals manage all school operations, including daily activities. Duties vary according to institutions, but generally they supervise teachers and other staff, coordinate curricula, and provide a safe and productive learning environment for students. They also may set up additional supporting programs, such as counseling and special education.
Your school principal job description should detail educational and professional requirements. School principals must be excellent multi-taskers, as their duties include disciplining and counseling students, handling discipline problems, observing teachers, establishing and overseeing class schedules, and managing school activities and staff. Good candidates are detail-oriented problem-solvers.
Principals serve as the public face of the school, so they must be confident and have excellent written and verbal communication skills. Successful school principals are decisive, analytical leaders. They also are able to establish relationships with diverse groups.
School Principal Job Description Template
Join our staff as the school principal and lead a team of highly dedicated teachers and support staff in providing the best educational experience for our students. You will utilize your knowledge of curriculum development as you support the instructors in developing courses that adhere to the local and federal guidelines. With your strong leadership skills, you will guide teachers in creating a safe and effective environment for learning and conduct periodic evaluations to identify areas that need improvement. As our principal, you will represent our school at conferences and other events, networking with fellow administrators and instructors to remain abreast of relevant advances in education. As a key player in the school’s discipline, you will also have the opportunity to exercise your conflict management skills.
- Evaluate instructors and other staff members to ensure that the standardized curriculum is adhered to, and identify areas of improvement.
- Discipline students according to school policy and enforce campus rules, such as the dress code and attendance policy.
- Collaborate with teachers, parents and students to provide the best education for each student and assist them in their academic and professional goals.
- Participate in hiring, training and other employment activities for instructors and secondary staff members to create a dynamite team.
- Provide guidance and counseling services to students on their academic or vocational goals and offer assistance with behavioral modification programs.
- Lead professional development programs for staff and encourage instructors to attend regional conferences to maintain the best academic programs.
- Establish curriculum guidelines in collaboration with other administrators and instructors in the school district, and ensure that guidelines are adhered to.
- Oversee budgeting and grant proposals, and determine budget allocations for items such as supplies, materials, staff and equipment.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Master’s degree in education, doctorate preferred
- 5-7 years’ experience as a principal or vice principal
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Excellent oral and verbal communication skills
- Proven problem-solving skills
- Coursework in conflict management
CREATE MY JOB DESCRIPTION
View More Education Job Descriptions