Use this professional created Accounts Payable Specialist job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Accounts payable specialists perform crucial job duties that ensure vendors get paid for services and products rendered. They review and process invoices, audit credit card bills, answer vendor inquiries, reconcile vendor statements, process and maintain 1099 statements, and process and distribute checks.
An ideal accounts payable specialist should have two or more years of accounts payable experience and a high school diploma. College courses in accounting are preferred. In your accounts payable specialist job description, stress the need for organization and time management skills as well as the ability to effectively multi-task.
Your job description should stress technical knowledge of ledger and accounting procedures and good typing and 10-key skills. This position also requires good communication skills, perhaps bilingual skills and the ability to work independently.
Accounts Payable Specialist Job Description Template
Do you possess a high level of reliability, precision and attention to detail? Are you looking for a position that allows you to apply your expertise, industry-specific knowledge, high level of organization, and take-charge nature? We would love to have you join our highly respected team! As a valuable accounts payable specialist, you will become the trusted face of our organization and help drive accounts payable team members to meet quarterly and annual goals. If you want to experience the excitement of fostering team unity while working closely with management and fellow employees to nurture trust and build rapport with our clients, then consider working for our company.
- Respond to external vendors and internal managers regarding all aspects of the accounts payable process, including processing invoices for payment, recording sales tax, assisting with bank reconciliations, and documenting loans.
- Research information to provide accurate and timely solutions to internal clients and vendors at multiple locations.
- Verify the accuracy of vendor invoices and confirm that the correct general ledger account codes are used.
- Generate payment to vendors on a routine schedule and match the check with backup for review by the financial manager.
- Inspect paid and unpaid invoices including cleared payment inquiries and check voiding to maintain accurate files and records according to company standards.
- Review automatic payments to ensure correct coding and authorization as well as sufficient contracts and documentation.
- Develop and maintain a filing system for financial information, records and documents to ensure easily available information.
- Monitor account balances, track expenses, prepare analyses of accounts and related financial activity to produce monthly financial reports.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Associate’s degree in accounting with relevant work experience
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong problem-solving skills and work ethics
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Information management skills
- Three years of general accounting experience