A Key Networking Tool for Students, Job-Seekers, and Career-Changers
Learn about how an informational interview should be an integral part of your networking, career exploration, and job-hunting plan in this free, expert tutorial.
An informational interview involves talking with people who are currently working in the field to gain a better understanding of an occupation or industry — and to build a network of contacts in that field.
The Quintessential Careers Informational Interviewing Tutorial is organized in the following manner:
- What are informational interviews — and why should I do them?
- Background Information About Informational Interviews
- Reasons for Conducting Informational Interviews
- Guidelines for Informational Interviews
- Identify an Occupation for Informational Interviews
- Identify People to Interview for Informational Interviews
- Scheduling the Informational Interview
- Informational Interview Letter
- Sample Letter Requesting an Informational Interview
- Requesting an Informational Interview in Person or by Phone
- Questions to Ask at the Informational Interview
- Informational Interviewing: 200 Informational Interview Sample Questions
- 75 Informational Interview Questions
- Additional Informational Interview Questions
- Informational Interviewing Do’s and Don’ts
- Ask for Referrals at the Informational Interview
- Always Send a Thank You After Informational Interviews
- Informational Interviewing: A Powerful Networking and Career Tool for College Students
Maximize your career and job-search knowledge and skills! Take advantage of the Career Resources Toolkit for Jobseekers from LiveCareer, which enables site visitors to locate articles, tutorials, FAQs, and worksheets in 35 career, college, job-search topic areas.
Additional Resources for Jobseekers: