Firefighter Resume Objective
Becoming a firefighter means that you will be working hard to save lives, property and the environment. Crafting a clear and confident resume objective will show your prospective employers that you are a strong candidate for the position. It will also encourage said employers to continue reading through your resume. In order to begin a fulfilling career as a firefighter you need to start with a solid resume objective.
What the Firefighter Resume Objective Should Tell Prospective Employers
Since many of a firefighter’s duties include mitigating disasters, saving people, fire prevention and other emergency situations, a firefighter has to be very capable. Your resume objective should show your prospective employer just how capable you are. If you can highlight your communication skills, public safety knowledge, physical abilities and abilities to assess dangerous situations, you will have a strong starting point for your resume objective. Your resume objective should also inform your prospective employer of any applicable previous experience you have. No matter if it’s education, firefighter work experience, volunteering in emergency situations or anything else that showcases your abilities to be a firefighter, you should try to include something in your resume objective.
Sample Firefighter Resume Objectives
Now that you know what a resume objective for a firefighter position should tell your prospective employers, you should also know that you can’t write a novel. Try to fit everything into one concise sentence. You should also include the name of the company that you want to work for to really showcase how invested you are in working for that particular company. Here are some examples of resume objectives:
1. Dedicated individual looking for an entry-level firefighter position with Company 123 that will use skills learned in firefighter training like communication skills, commitment to serve community, problem sensitivity and manual dexterity.
2. Obtain a managerial firefighter position with Company 123 using 10 years of EMS experience along with knowledge or resource allocation in order to help the Company better serve the community.
3. Searching for a firefighter position with Company 123 in order to use problem solving, physical and response orientation abilities and help to serve and improve community and the Company.
4. Experienced firefighter trying to obtain firefighter position with Company 123 that will benefit from communication skills, manual dexterity, knowledge of handling emergency situations and the strong desire to serve the community.
5. Hardworking, public safety oriented individual looking for firefighter position with Company 123 that will benefit from 10 years of firefighting experience, physical capabilities and desire to serve and improve the community.
Skills To Put in a Firefighter Resume Objective
Recruiters don’t usually spend much time looking at resumes. One section they are will most likely to read is the objective statement. In this two or three-sentence paragraph, you can pique the reader’s interest by including a combination of training-based hard skills and personality-focused soft skills.
When building a resume for a job as a firefighter, it’s important that you illustrate your ability to respond to emergency situations. Pay attention to the specific skill set employers mention in their job descriptions. This gives you clues on which attributes you need to include in your document. Then, choose a list of qualifications you have that best matches what the employer seeks in a job candidate.
Here are a few top skills you can mention in your firefighter resume objective:
- Knowledgeable about connecting hoses to hydrants
- Skilled at providing on-site medical attention
- Experience rescuing individuals
- Emergency medical technician certification
- Certified paramedic
- Quick decision-making skills
- Able to lift up to 70 pounds of firefighting equipment
- Comprehensive physical ability test certification
- Background in the mitigation of hazardous materials incidents
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written
- Able to work cooperatively with all types of people in a variety of situations
- Willing to learn on a continual basis
Head Over to LiveCareer’s Resume Builder for more help with writing a resume objective.