While the demand for software engineers is fast outpacing most other occupations, your resume still matters. For example, it can be the difference between being called for an interview for jobs that advance your career and those that simply provide lateral movement. So, what should you highlight to get the attention of the employers seeking to fill those roles? If you have them, you should showcase bachelor’s and master’s degrees in computer science and programming. Make sure to include if you graduated with honors or won programming competitions; these also matter to potential employers. Your expertise in different programming languages and software packages, including mobile app development, should also be listed in the expertise section of your resume. Check out our software engineer resume example for more ideas.
Software Engineer Advice
Looking to get hired as a software engineer? It takes specialized technical knowledge, an understanding of software and systems, and a competitive resume. The resume examples we’ve created can help you develop your software engineer resume more effectively. Simply pick any of the resume examples below to get started, and update your own resume to meet your needs. Get started now and get hired sooner.
Resume Tips for Software Engineer
Seeking jobs as a software engineer requires an ideal blend of solid job search skills and the right mindset. Follow these steps to reach your job search goals and find the job for you.
1. Stay focused. You want to make sure that you are staying on top of your job search process and that you don’t get distracted. Create a schedule of daily job search tasks and follow through. This will help stay on top of opportunities and prevent you from missing out on opportunities.
2. Consistently network. Networking is one of the most important aspects of the job search process. You want to make sure that you are meeting a variety of people and expanding your circle. The more connections you have the more likely you will find a position.
3. Complete detailed research. Looking for a job requires more time than simply scanning the known job boards. You want to make sure that you are digging for available information. A lot of positions are not posted on the normal sites and require a little more investigating.
4. Step away from the computer. While the Internet can be an important piece in researching potential positions, you also want to work on face-to-face contact with people. Attend job fairs or social engagements and get to know new people in person.
5. Stay positive. It might be tempting to become discouraged and frustrated, but staying positive can help you more easily connect with others and develop relationships. Companies want to hire positive individuals, so you want to put a positive attitude out there.
Software Engineer Job Seeking Tips
Your resume is an important piece in setting you apart from others looking for jobs as a software engineer. Here are some do’s and don’ts to help you craft a successful resume.
1. Do go over one page if you have extensive relevant experience and skills. If you need a little more room to show why you are the best for the job use some of the second page.
2. Don’t go over two pages. At the same time, you want to make sure that your resume is concise and to the point. If you start bleeding on to the third page, you are likely including too much information.
3. Do create an easy to read document. Hiring managers are only briefly glancing through resumes, so you want to make sure that your experiences clearly stand out and that reading the document takes little effort.
4. Do use bullet points. The most important aspect of creating an easy to read resume is using bulleted lists of details rather than lengthy paragraphs.
5. Don’t use boring general verbs like work, performed etc. Â¦ You want clear concise verbs that clearly show the specifics of your duties and/or skills. This gets to the point much more quickly.
No Experience Software Engineer Resume
There are plenty of opportunities to land a Software Engineer job position, but it won’t just be handed to you. Crafting a Software Engineer resume that catches the attention of hiring managers is paramount to getting the job, and LiveCareer is here to help you stand out from the competition.