Table of Contents
Resume Success Stories
Building Your Security Engineer Resume with Our Builder:
Select a Resume Template
Choose Pre-Written Phrases
Download, Print and Apply
What Is a Security Engineer?
In the first few months of 2018, there were nearly half a million unfilled positions in the cybersecurity field. Positions like security engineer rely on a narrow focus of talent, which makes them more difficult for recruiting purposes. Security engineers are in charge of companies’ computer security systems. They periodically repair, maintain and sometimes install the infrastructure of the security system. They analyze potential security risks and conduct analyses to find vulnerabilities. They also train staff members on improving company security.
What Makes This a Great
Security Engineer Resume Example?
Our security engineer resume examples, written by professional resume writers, show you exactly how to craft a resume that will stand out from the competition. Studying our examples, like the one featured here, can show you how to accomplish the following elements of resume writing:
- Choosing the best content: This resume example utilizes powerful industry-specific content that showcases a skilled security engineer who would make a great addition to a team. The skills, job history details and qualifications are professional and potent thanks to the use of keywords. Study our resume examples to learn how to craft your own content, or use our Resume Builder to access pre-written content suggestions to fill out every section of your resume.
- Format selection: Your resume’s format determines which part of your background – skills, education, or work experience – are most prominent. This example uses a combination resume format, which is perfect for a mid-career professional who wants to highlight both skills and work experience. Entry-level or senior-level job seekers should consider other resume formats.
- Design options: Your resume template, or design, should be chosen to match the industry in which you are applying. Here, the resume example uses a clean design with a subtle wash of color for emphasis. For security engineering positions in more creative fields, a more colorful resume template might be appropriate.
3 Security Engineer Professional Summaries Examples
The most powerful section of a resume is its professional summary at the top. Our security engineer resume examples show you how to craft a strong yet succinct summation of your skills and experience. Here are three additional security engineer professional summary statements to consider for your resume:
- Innovative security engineer with eight years of cybersecurity experience. Capable of designing effective security systems that exceed industry standards. Expertise in risk assessment for data and operating systems.
- Detail-oriented and resourceful security engineer with a background in security design for government agencies. Equipped with security audit knowledge and an ability to protect company assets. Highly skilled at constructing strong firewalls for classified systems.
- Knowledgeable security engineer with a history of building and maintaining security systems for Silicon Valley companies. Experience in successfully creating a staff training program to reduce phishing attacks. Excellent problem-solving ability when diagnosing and repairing system issues.
3 Security Engineer Work Experience Section Examples
Our security engineer resume examples show you how to write content that accurately describes your job duties. Study them for language and for examples of how to add metrics to your resume to show the impact of your work. Or, consider these work history bullet points for your resume:
- Programmed security network systems for a multi-million-dollar company’s extensive data network spanning 26 states.
- Diagnosed network security issues and errors and tweaked the system to improve performance periodically.
- Provided on-call assistance to upper management when data security was at risk and support to a staff of more than 300 with network security.
Top Skills for Your Security Engineer Resume
With the Resume Builder, applicants get the ability to create an effective skills section. They also may write their own details with the security engineer resume examples as a guide.
Here are a few examples of security engineer hard and soft skills that hiring managers look for:
- Cisco cybersecurity specialist
- Top secret security clearance
- CISSP certification
- Experience with endpoint security tools
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Schedule flexibility
Find Your Ideal Job
Once you have built your resume, stay on top of your job search with Job Alerts. Once you sign up, we will email you when there are new security engineer openings in your location.
Security Engineer Plain Text Resume
Name: Sharon Norwood
Address: City, State, Zip Code
Security Engineer with over five years of progressive experience in technology companies. Demonstrated skills in identifying business risks and compliance issues and designing proactive solutions. Familiar with designing and implementing layered network security approaches.
- Implementing security programs
- Erecting firewalls
- Qualys Cloud Platform
- Data security
- Developing security plans
- Problem resolution
- Excellent communication skills
Company Name, City, State
September 2017 to Current
- Monitor use of data files and regulate access for over 500 employees to protect secure information.
- Install and maintain commercial firewall solutions, working with security vendors to consistently apply best practices and software updates.
- Work on the company’s Bring Your Own Device program, onboarding and offboarding employee devices and verifying absence of inherent security threats.
Junior Security Analyst
Company Name, City, State
June 2015 to August 2017
- Outlined and maintained security patching schedule to efficiently address ongoing system issues.
- Assisted with developing plans to safeguard computer files against modification, destruction or disclosure.
- Encrypted data and erected firewalls to protect confidential information.
Company Name, City, State
June 2014 to September 2014
- Collaborated on network development, implementation, and maintenance of routers, switches, firewalls and NAC and WAN optimization.
- Worked with sustaining engineering teams to investigate and resolve software and hardware defects.
- Applied deployment best practices and proper security protocols in network management.
Bachelor of Science Computer Science, May 2015
University of Colorado At Boulder City, State
Security Engineer FAQs
What is the role of a security engineer?
The security engineer is a key staff member who maintains data security in a company’s computer infrastructure. This involves the physical building of the network security, putting together the virtual software components and testing the elements on a regular basis. Security engineers must also assist other staff members with training and support to prevent security data breaches.
What are cybersecurity engineer job duties?
Cybersecurity engineers create plans to manage and monitor companies’ data and network security. They run tests to assess different security risk analyses from outside organizations and hackers. They maintain the security systems for the networks and address problems as they happen. They solve data theft and network security issues and work to mitigate further data loss.
What is the difference between a security analyst and a security engineer?
In some companies, the security analyst and the security engineer are interchangeable. There are some differences between the job titles and their roles. An analyst spends more time thinking up possible security breach situations and testing the network. The engineer is more responsible for constructing the system to protect against security attacks and troubleshooting potential issues.