Copywriting Resume Examples
Your resume determines your success in the job search. Our resume builder’s copywriting resume templates and writing tips can help you make a great impression on recruiters.
Our Recommended Examples
Popular Examples in the Copywriting Space
Table of Contents
Copywriting Resume Examples by Job Title
Create a Copywriting Resume
in 5 Simple Steps
Get Expert Writing Recommendations for Your Copywriting Resume
Even strong writers can utilize LiveCareer’s Resume Builder to help them create an attention-getting resume. Our resume builder suggests industry-specific words and phrases written by our certified resume writers that will help you tailor your resume for copywriting roles.
Our builder may suggest content such as the following:
- Curated content for social media postings and increased following by 60 percent.
- Wrote daily blogs and social media posts, website copy and articles.
- Used AP style guidelines to make accurate changes and comply with ideal structure.
- Determined the needs of end users and wrote over 20 technical instructions.
- Produced over 25 how-to tutorials and user guides for websites.
8 Do’s and Don’ts for Writing a Copywriting Resume
- Do tout your ability to write for various platforms. Writers who can successfully adapt content for editorial, whitepages, blogs, social media sites, and other media are sought after by employers.
- Do quantify your work. Displaying numeric data about past accomplishments, such as the number of articles your can write per week, gives recruiters concrete data to consider when reviewing a resume.
- Do indicate working knowledge of AP style guidelines. A close familiarity with the most commonly used guidelines in the copywriting industry may be a required or strongly preferred component in many job postings.
- Do highlight your results. Employers want to see the impact of your work, specifically your ability to attract clients to their business. So, documenting a significant growth in readership or social media followers provides evidence of your ability to write compelling content.
- Don’t neglect to mention marketing experience. Most copywriting has an element of marketing or advertising to it, so any prior experience or knowledge related to marketing is a plus.
- Don’t exclude your social media experience. Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and LinkedIn are currently among the most popular platforms for companies to advertise their products and services, so be sure to mention your experience writing for or using these sites.
- Don’t leave out soft skills. While you’ll likely spend the majority of your time as a copywriter writing, you may also find yourself working with a team or meeting with clients. Recruiters will want to know if you can effectively communicate with others and handle stressful situations.
- Don’t forget to triple-check for errors. It’s virtually impossible to overstate the importance of making sure your copywriting resume is free of grammatical and spelling mistakes. After marketing that you have a consistent record of accuracy in your writing, the last thing you want to do is contradict yourself with careless mistakes on your resume.
Beat the ATS With These Copywriting Resume Skills
The copywriting industry relies heavily on keywords, particularly for web-based writing. Therefore, it’s likely that companies both large and small may depend on applicant tracking systems (ATS) to efficiently screen resumes for job-specific content during the hiring process. This software isolates desirable, job-related language and uses it to whittle down the overall number of documents that make it past the first round and onto the desk of a hiring manager for review.
With LiveCareer’s Resume Builder, applicants get help passing the ATS screening process by adding appropriate keywords and phrases for a copywriting resume. To that end, our builder might suggest the following skills and keywords for your copywriting resumes:
- Fact checking.
- Instruction writing.
- Corporate messaging.
- Formatting abilities.
- Web design.
- User documentation.
- Content editing knowledge.
- Search engine optimization.
- Story development.
Resume Success Stories
Statistics and Facts About Copywriting Jobs
Job Growth Outlook by Job Title (2018–2028)
Median Annual/Hourly Pay by Job Title
Most Common Credentials in the Copywriting Industry
|Bachelor of Arts|
|Some college, no degree|
Most Common Majors in the Writing Industry
|Visual and Performing Arts|
Gender and Age Composition in the Copywriting Industry
Male average age: 44.2 years
Female average age: 42.3 years
Most Popular Computer Software Used in the Copywriting Industry
Graphics and photo imaging
Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator; Microsoft Publisher
Web page creation and editing
Adobe Dreamweaver, Facebook, WordPress
Microsoft Word and Google Docs
Web Platform Development
Microsoft Access and Structured Query Language (SQL)
Popular Job Titles in the Copywriting Industry
- Technical Writer
- Communications Specialist
- Technical Communicator
- Web Content Writer
- Advertising Writer
- Staff Writer
- Features Writer
- Sports Writer