Table of Contents
Resume Success Stories
Building Your Programmer Resume with Our Builder:
Select a Resume Template
Choose Pre-Written Phrases
Download, Print and Apply
What Is a Programmer?
According to O*Net, programmers are professionals who work on computer applications, writing, changing and testing the code, forms and scripts that allow them to run. Programmers typically work from specifications created by others in the development pipeline. In some cases, programmers may assist with analyzing requirements and planning solutions. Many programmers specialize in areas such as data management, front-end applications, web applications and more. A majority of programmers, up to 88%, have bachelor’s degrees as their highest education attained.
What Makes This a Great
Programmer Resume Example?
Creating a resume that will impress hiring managers and help you land programmer interviews isn’t easy on your own. However, using LiveCareer’s resume examples will help you get one step closer to getting your ideal job. These are three main ways that studying our examples will make your resume writing process easier:
- Professionally-written content suggestions: This resume example, like all of LiveCareer’s examples, features pre-written suggestions that you can use as inspiration when writing your own resume. Written by certified resume writers, our examples show you the type of language you should use to make an impression on hiring managers. Use this guidance to master your professional summary, skills listing and work history, or use a resume builder which will make custom text suggestions as you write each section of your resume.
- Shows resume format options: There are three main resume formats: chronological, combination and functional. The job seeker in the programmer resume example, above, used a combination format to show off his work experience, internship and skills in program revision documentation, hardware development and code writing. If you are an entry-level worker or are seeking a senior-level software engineer role, another resume format might be better suited for you.
- Template: The job seeker chose a simple but colorful resume template. This design is a solid choice for applicants who plan to apply across industries since it is versatile; it’s professional but the touch of color adds a bit of personality to make it memorable. However, if you are applying in a very conservative industry, like law, you might choose a more subdued design. Our builder will recommend resume templates from our library that match the culture of the industry to which you are applying.
3 Programmer Professional Summaries Examples
Your professional summary is your first chance to show off your credentials to hiring managers. Use LiveCareer’s programmer resume examples to study the best way to bring your most impressive achievements to the top of your document. Or, use our builder to write your own. Here are three examples of programmer professional summaries our builder may recommend for your programmer resume:
- Programmer with five years of experience in back-end applications. Skilled at requirements gathering, technical writing and code authoring. Experienced with agile project life cycle from origination to delivery. Open and expressive communicator with substantial teamwork experience.
- Multi-talented and motivated programmer skilled at virtualization, hardware development and program revision documentation. Over 10 years of experience working in startup environments. Developed solutions from design through to integration. Reliable team builder with experience overseeing other programmers.
- Programmer eager to apply classroom education to a professional setting. Versed in Java, C# and SQL. Dedicated team player with a commitment to delivering results. Proficient in troubleshooting, systems design and problem solving.
3 Programmer Work Experience Section Examples
For many job seekers, authoring compelling work history descriptions can be one of the most challenging parts of resume writing. Use LiveCareer’s programmer resume examples to see how it’s done, or enlist our builder for pre-written text suggestions to describe your experience. Here are three work experience examples our builder may recommend:
- Wrote efficient and accurate tests to ensure certain products and features were operating within desired thresholds
- Collected monthly data on deployment issues and, quarterly, reported findings to team including suggestions on process improvements
- Collaborated with a team of 12 on every stage of the product lifecycle from design through to integration
Top Skills for Your Programmer Resume
Employers are looking for programmers with the right mix of hard and soft skills. You need to write a resume that clearly communicates your proficiency in the skills hiring managers are looking for, while showing that you have the soft skills that will allow you to be a great coworker. Study the programmer resume example to see the skills that recruiters look for or study this list of skills that our builder may recommend:
- Software design
- API documentation
- Bug tracking
- Complex problem solving
- Advanced technical writing
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Team leadership experience
Find Your Ideal Job
Once you have built your resume, stay on top of your job search with Job Alerts. Once you sign up, we will email you when there are new Programmer openings in your location.
Programmer Plain Text Resume
Name: Dalton Justice
Address: City, State, Zip Code
Effective at supporting team needs with high-quality code, subject matter expertise and collaboration skills. Skilled programmer and complex problem-solver experienced in data analytics and report writing.
Company Name, City, State
- Worked effectively with cross-functional design teams to create software solutions that elevated client-side experience.
- Oversaw 10 major new enhancements to existing software systems.
- Maintained existing applications and designed and delivered new applications.
Company Name, City, State
- Performed regression and system-level testing to verify software quality and function prior to release.
- Evaluate potential software products based on new and existing system development and migration requirements.
- Analyzed system specifications to develop programs for computer applications.
Company Name, City, State
- Gathered, organized, and distributed technical documentation.
- Installed technical hardware and software in deskside support environment.
- Explained technical information in clear terms to non-technical individuals to promote better understanding.
- Proficient in Java/C/C++
- Knowledge of SQL
- Agile methodology
- Excellent diagnostic skills
- Attention to detail
Education & Training
Bachelor of Science: Programming ,City, State
What qualifications do you need to be a computer programmer?
The qualifications for computer programmers can vary significantly between employers. According to the BLS, a bachelor’s degree is the typical entry-level education. However, many programmers find employment without a degree. Some programmers benefit from pursuing certifications in languages. Others rely solely on their portfolios to demonstrate their abilities. In some cases, companies require certification in certain products.
How do you write a programming language on a CV?
Whether writing a curriculum vitae or a resume, programmers typically include a skills section. In this part, they describe the programming languages that they are familiar with. It may be sufficient to simply list them. However, many programmers prefer to include a rating of their proficiency. Common terminology for this is “expert,” “proficient” and “familiar with.”
How many years does it take to become a programmer?
The time necessary to become a programmer depends on the path you take. Earning a bachelor’s degree (the most common entry-level education) typically takes four years. However, some programmers pursue two-year programs. Others are able to get an entry-level position without a degree. Expect to need at least two years of either experience or education before getting your first job.