Table of Contents
Select a resume template and customize
Describing your relevant experience, talents, and achievements in a compelling and engaging resume is a great tactic to grab the attention of hiring managers and recruiters. Learn how to write a top-notch Java developer resume, such as the one shown, with our Java developer resume template for Word. Keep reading for more information on creating the main sections of the resume, including the summary statement, skills, education, work history sections, to help land you an interview..
Writing Your Summary Statement
When it comes to your summary statement, you want to make a great first impression with a description that will catch the eye of hiring managers. It is one of the best ways to market your skills and help hiring managers see you’re the perfect fit for the position. Incorporating the qualifications, language, and keywords from the job description in your summary statement is an excellent technique. Limit your statement to no more than three bullet points or sentences, and make sure it includes the following information:
• Your job title
• Specific achievements or traits
• Two or three of your top talents
Here are a few examples of summary statements using our Java developer resume template for Word:
Highly accomplished Java developer with over 15 years of comprehensive mastery of all Java packages. Authority on both global and local vendor networks. Able to motivate team members and function autonomously with minimal supervision.
Outstanding Java developer with proven expertise, design, and object-oriented analysis. Exceptional track record of supervising all aspects of software development, from design and analysis to implementation and maintenance.
Java developer with an exceptional understanding of multiple programming languages. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Adept at developing and maintaining professional working relationships with management and peers.
• Talented problem-solver
• Over 15 years’ expertise with Java tools
• Successfully led teams in deadline-oriented, stressful environments
Writing Your Skills Section
Present a condensed list of your top qualifications that are relevant to the posted position in the skills section of your resume. This is your best chance to quickly let potential employers recognize that you are the best candidate for the job. Here’s how to write an impressive skills section that will attract recruiters with the Java developer resume template for Word:
• List relevant skills first.
• Keep points general, saving details for the work history and summary sections.
• Include five to seven directly applicable skills.
Here is a list of top skills required for Java developer positions that you should consider including when you write your resume:
• Extensive knowledge of font rendering and image processing
• High proficiency with imaging, printing, and Core Java packages
• Excellent ability to design and code to specifications
• Adaptable and flexible to maintain the pace of work
• Superior command of Java on Linux, Mac OSX, and Unix
• Expert in leading projects to meet milestones
Writing Your Work History Section
The experience section of your resume is where you will provide concise descriptions of your work history. Make sure to center on your career achievements and use our writing tips along with the Java Developer resume template for Word to make your work history section shine. Also, keep in mind these tips:
• Use metrics to measure accomplishments and make jobs specific to the posting.
• Include company, location, duration, and job title.
• List five to eight bullets that highlight each task.
• Incorporate language, keywords, and phrases from the posting.
• Add action verbs to describe responsibilities and duties.
Check out these great examples of Java developer job descriptions for the work history section:
• Resolved connectivity and application problems in Java applications that resulted in an increase of 25 percent customer satisfaction.
• Debugged and maintained applications for global vendor/client connectivity.
• Designed and implemented data validity and quality control for Java programs.
• Upheld delivery standards in developing software solutions that increased program quality by 40 percent.
Writing Your Education Section
For most positions, highlighting your educational background is a big part of your resume. Make sure to describe your academic career quickly to hiring managers as shown in the Java developer resume template for Word. Take a look at these best practices to make writing this section a simple:
• List your most recent academic degree first and then the rest chronologically.
• Only recent graduates need to add their GPA.
• Include relevant certifications, volunteer positions, and short courses.
Take a look at these excellent examples of the education section of a Java Developer resume:
Master of Science, Computer Science Ð 2008
University of Minnesota Ð Minneapolis, MN
Courses included: Operating systems and programming, computer graphics, and network security
Bachelor of Science, Computer Science Ð 2006
University of Iowa Ð Iowa City, IA
Courses included: Algorithm design and analysis, principles of artificial intelligence, and machine learning
Bachelor of Science, Information Sciences Ð 2009
Kansas State University Ð Manhattan, KS
Courses included: Database systems principles, cryptography, and language programming
Short course: Object-oriented Java Programming Ð 2009
National Programming Education Ð Pueblo, CO