Use this professional created Shipping Manager job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Shipping managers are responsible for managing warehouse operations. They supervise a team of warehouse associates and ensure optimal productivity and safety. They use feedback from clients, directions from management and information about upcoming shipments to create and adjust the shift worker schedule. They pay careful attention to the warehouse’s physical condition during each shift and check that safety standards are followed.
For your company’s shipping manager job description, there are a few things you should mention to attract the top candidates. The most important skill is the ability to lead. You should seek someone who is skilled at motivating others with stellar communication and interpersonal skills.
The right person for the job should also be highly organized. Since shipping warehouses are often operating at all hours, be sure to mention the right candidate needs to have flexible scheduling availability. Being reliable is another essential for the successful job applicant.
Shipping Manager Job Description Template
If you are looking for the right place to utilize your problem-solving skills and increase your management credentials, we have the perfect opportunity for you as our new shipping manager. Take the next step in your career and enjoy a hands-on job full of variety and challenges. You will be responsible for our warehouse and fleet, manage all shipping/receiving personnel, and have numerous opportunities to network with other departments and communicate directly with customers. We offer competitive pay and a fantastic benefits package along with career development opportunities and the chance to lead a diverse group of hardworking employees. Bring your organizational skills and innovative solutions to a company that values them and get your career on the fast track to success.
- Oversee all shipping and receiving operations during every shift including managing warehouse personnel, comparing shipment contents with manifests, and ensuring adherence to all safety protocols.
- Supervise warehouse department staff including assigning personnel to specific stations during shifts, determining staffing requirements for busy seasons, heading recruitment efforts, interviewing potential hires, and preparing job offer packets as needed.
- Create, modify, and implement safety and security protocols as needed for warehouse staff, including performing after-action reviews following any incidents.
- Review warehouse operations quarterly to determine overall levels of efficiency, safety, employee morale, and production, and present findings and suggested changes to department heads and boards of directors.
- Analyze work orders, invoices, and demand forecasts daily to estimate shipping, storage, and delivery requirements, and use this information to create employee schedules and resource allocation requests.
- Inspect physical condition of the warehouse, dock, vehicles, and equipment according to checkup schedules and initiate appropriate actions to remedy unsatisfactory findings.
- Communicate directly with clients as necessary to answer questions, relay shipping updates, and handle complaints calmly and efficiently.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED, plus a minimum of five years’ experience in related field
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to delegate
- Flexibility to work nontraditional hours including nights and weekends
- Detail-oriented and reliable
- Previous experience with Microsoft applications and SAP