Use this professional created Test Engineer job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Test engineers develop and implement software tests to identify mistakes and their causes. They use debugging systems to find errors that they document and report to software developers. They may also provide input on product designs to improve functional requirements.
A test engineer job description should list what program testing software an applicant should be proficient in. Applicants must have analytical skills to identify small problems within complex software systems. An ideal test engineer is adept at processing information through coding, calculating, and verifying data.
Some businesses require test engineers to hold bachelor’s degrees in computer technology, programming, or related fields. Test engineers may be qualified through certifications or related work experience.
Test Engineer Job Description Template
Do you want to help pave the way to the technological future in a job that offers daily challenges in a fast-paced, collaborative environment? We are looking for the right test engineer to join our team of innovative experts and seek viable solutions to real-world problems. You will have the chance to develop customized testing procedures and oversee projects from initial testing through delivery. We believe that an open and inviting workplace is the key to unlocking the potential of our employees, and to that end, we offer flexible vacation time, competitive salaries, and amazing office perks, such as free meals, morale-building events, and commuter benefits. Join us and use your talents to help create the very best products and solutions in the industry.
- Design test plans, procedures, scenarios, and scripts to accurately assess new products or software updates according to customer requirements and company policies.
- Develop testing protocol for various aspects, such as usability, database impact, error and bug finding, regression testing, and implementation scenarios.
- Identify, analyze and create detailed records of problems that appear during testing, such as software defects, bugs, functionality issues, and output errors, and work directly with software developers to find solutions and develop retesting procedures.
- Track problems, resolutions, and bug fixes throughout testing and create a comprehensive database of defects and successful mitigation techniques.
- Create detailed, step-by-step documentation of test procedures for each phase or project as needed to ensure replicability, compliance with standards, and growth of company knowledge base.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with test personnel, users, developers, and clients to facilitate quick resolution of problems and accurate documentation of successes.
- Provide frequent feedback to developers, including recommendations for improvements, evaluation of problems, potential solutions, and discussion of further test requirements.
- Design and implement automated testing tools when possible, and update tools as needed to ensure currency and accuracy.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, information technology, computer science, or similar field
- Minimum four years of relevant work experience
- Excellent time-management skills and commitment to meet deadlines
- Proficiency with database technology (e.g. Oracle, SQL) and scripting languages (e.g. Python, Bash)
- Well-rounded experience with multiple operating systems, virtualization technologies, and test environments