Use this professional created Material Handler job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Material handlers are needed to move items from one location to another, pack products for shipment and maintain records of all items moved. Handlers are also expected to keep the work area clean, and that extends to maintaining the company’s equipment and vehicles. They may also move debris out of the worksite to the landfill.
No formal education is required for material handlers. However, it can be beneficial to state in your material handler job description if you are looking for people with vehicle licenses to operate certain pieces of machinery.
Material handlers need to have great strength and stamina to be on their feet all day. They need to have great listening skills and be courteous to the general public.
Material Handler Job Description Template
Material handlers are essential to the daily operation of every manufacturing and retail business, moving inventory and production supplies safely from warehouses to assembly room floors, retail spaces or office facilities. You would ensure the safe and timely delivery of materials, employing the highest industry safety standards. Coordinate with a team of lifters to maximize efficiency, paying careful attention to detail, ensuring the proper completion of every order. If you exemplify strong leadership skills, time management abilities and motivation, you are the candidate we are looking for. As a material handler, you will become an integral part of company operations and strengthen our business’ efficiency, timeliness and commitment to service.
- Receive, confirm, track, store, dispatch and deliver material from the warehouse to production facilities, retail stores and corporate offices.
- Lift and unload heavy pallets, both by hand and by machine, and safely relocate them elsewhere in the warehouse or prepare them for transport.
- Facilitate and maintain a safe work environment and a trained workforce, committed to the best practices in the industry.
- Perform quality inspections of materials, ensuring that the delivery is completed as requested and that the order meets company and industry standards.
- Keep the warehouse organized and tidy and implement general housekeeping practices to maintain workplace cleanliness.
- Understand the basics of the supply chain, including shipping and receiving logistics, quality assurance, equipment upkeep, and facility maintenance.
- Fill out inventory lists, crosscheck shipping invoices and maintain accurate delivery log records for every order.
- Answer phone calls and questions regarding delivery status, order changes and confirmations as well as other general logistical inquiries.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school or GED degree
- Experience in forklift, pallet jack and other heavy equipment operation
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs., stand/walk continuously and perform physical tasks
- Skills in basic computer software, such as MS Word, Excel, etc.
- Basic math, writing and oral communication abilities