Use this professional created Line Cook job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
A line cook’s responsibility is to prepare food for a restaurant and its patrons. Line cooks often work from a specific food station, such as grill, fry, sauté or salad. They work as part of a team of other line cooks to put together menu items for restaurant guests.
As you put together the line cook job description, make sure you indicate the importance of having a food handler’s permit. Line cooks must also demonstrate safe food serving techniques to avoid cross contamination. Candidates should also be able to work for long hours on their feet in a high-pressure setting.
Line cooks should preferably have experience in the food industry and demonstrate some culinary background. Most importantly, line cooks must be able to adhere to the company or restaurant’s standards for food quality and guest satisfaction.
Line Cook Job Description Template
If you are interested in a career in the culinary industry, we’re pleased to offer you the ideal position to begin your pursuit of such a goal. We are currently looking to hire new line cooks to work at our local bar-and-grill-style casual dining restaurant. In this position, you’ll work under the direction of our team of professional chefs learning to prepare dishes comprised of beef, pork, poultry and seafood and how to complement such entrees with vegetables, breads and sauces. Not only will this position teach you how to prepare delicious food, but it will also provide you with experience in plate presentation as well as how to work well in a high-pressure environment.
- Prepare and serve breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinnertime meals as instructed by the shift’s lead chef in a timely enough manner so as to meet our customer satisfaction standards.
- Rotate on a daily basis (and during scheduled shifts) from various stations to perform different tasks, such as entrée, side dish, dessert and appetizer prep, plate garnishing, and food portioning.
- Work in conjunction with other line cooks and kitchen staff to ensure that food is rotated on schedule from freezers and walk-ins to prep areas, and then on to the line for cooking.
- Assist with shift changeover to ensure that customer’s orders are filled before leaving.
- Maintain a clean and sanitary working environment at all times by observing kitchen rules and our chef’s personal requirements.
- Ensure that all cooking, prep, and food handling areas and surfaces are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized at the end of every work day.
- Attend required training classes to augment your cooking skills as required by our team of chefs.
- Familiarize yourself with proper food handling regulations as well as contamination controls.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Current food handlers permit
- Able to meet physical demands such as lifting at least 50 lbs. as well as standing on your feet for up to 8 hours
- High school diploma or its equivalent
- Culinary school training
- Previous experience working in a kitchen or restaurant setting, or in a team-oriented environment