Use this professional created Cook job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Cooks are responsible for preparing a wide variety of appetizers, entrees, side dishes, desserts, and other components of a meal. They may be responsible for preliminary preparation, the cooking process, and plating or presentation. Cooks should be able to use a wide variety of tools and equipment, ranging from knives and spoons to industrial mixers, fryers, and grills. A cook might specialize in a specific area, such as soups or seafood, or they may be expected to prepare a wide variety of foods.
While many cooks do not have a formal education, many have on-the-job training that helps them build their expertise. In some cases—such as at high-end restaurants—cooks may have attended culinary school.
Generally speaking, cooks should have good attention to detail and the ability to multitask. A cook job description should specify that knowledge of food safety is extremely important.
Cook Job Description Template
Come work for an award-winning family of restaurants that has consistently earned an A rating from the Department of Public Health. Our customers patronize our restaurants repeatedly due to excellent customer satisfaction and our commitment to exceptional service standards. We hold ourselves to a high standard not just with our customers but also with our staff. As a cook in our kitchen, you will be given thorough training and receive all the support you need to be an effective and satisfied employee. We offer competitive perks to our valued workers and treat each employee like a family member. We believe that happy workers make happy customers, and our ongoing customer satisfaction reflects this commitment to a comfortable and supportive workplace. Join us to begin your career at a company that really cares.
- Prepare food for guests while following guidelines laid out in quality control standards and state and local regulations.
- Fulfill guest orders in a timely manner while adhering to best practices and careful preparation of food items.
- Keep your work area clean and free of unsanitary items and objects; properly dispose of waste in appropriate receptacles.
- Remain knowledgeable about the restaurant menu and make accommodations on individual orders as requested by guests.
- Work alongside other team members to ensure streamlined service and a commitment to work together to achieve company goals.
- Ensure that food area stocked and organized; alert manager of any inventory deficiencies, and keep inventory records.
- Resolve problems with wait staff, customer orders, or other food-related issues in the kitchen in a timely and efficient manner.
- Maintain utensils such as knives in safe and appropriate working condition as well as ensure that all utensils are clean before each use.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while standing for long periods of time
- Ability to use food preparation equipment, including knives and other sharp objects
- At least one year of experience as a cook