Use this professional created Mechanical Engineer job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Mechanical engineers are responsible for designing, building, testing, analyzing, and developing a wide variety of machines, such as sensors, engines, tools, robots, vehicles, and more. They are often involved in research and development but may also work directly with manufacturing and repairs. The job of a mechanical engineer involves many different components and may require knowledge of physics, material science, or computer science.
Mechanical engineering requires a great deal of education; most mechanical engineers have at least a bachelor’s degree and many also have master’s degrees. Additionally, most jurisdictions have licensing requirements for mechanical engineers.
A mechanical engineer job description should ask for a candidate with a firm understanding of engineering principles, as well as strong mathematics skills. Other important abilities include teamwork, creativity, and problem solving.
Mechanical Engineer Job Description Template
There is no question that our team of mechanical engineers is changing the world. As a company, we are committed to taking this responsibility seriously and are seeking a talented engineer to join our ranks. By developing new technologies and assembling advanced mechanisms, we are able to provide our clients and partners with hand-crafted products that are put together with care. This mechanical engineer position provides you the opportunity to help shape our company’s future. If you are detail-oriented and have developed communication skills to allow you to work closely with a team of engineers, consider applying to play a crucial role in developing the technology of the future.
- Assist in the design and planning stages of manufacturing, whether it is following the specifications put forward by the client or a new internal project.
- Implement electrical engineering principles to install and fix the electrical systems in mechanisms; implement refrigeration, psychrometrics, controls systems, and acoustic fundamentals in applicable projects.
- Perform troubleshooting to identify and remedy issues that arise once a project is nearing completion.
- Coordinate with the Project Manager, as well as the Construction Engineers and Customer Service departments; develop the sequence of operations to ensure maximum efficiency is achieved on a daily basis.
- Create 3D computer models of future projects for occasional larger scale assignments.
- Review and oversee new equipment orders to ensure accuracy and timely acquisition of deliveries.
- Analyze energy and economic data as well as general calculations, and organize and present the information to managers in a meaningful way.
- Devise ways to improve efficiency by reviewing and analyzing the standard operating procedures; present information and recommendations for continuous improvements to managers in monthly board meetings.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or related field
- 1 or 2 years’ experience in engineering consultancy or related mechanical field
- Excellent communication skills
- Complete understanding of HVAC and engineering fundamentals
- Experience with drafting software (AutoCAD preferred)
- Previous work involving lifting and moving upwards of 10 pounds
- Completed an engineering internship