Use this professional created Coach job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Coaches play a key role in training athletes and teams for success in their various athletic endeavors. They work with both amateur and professional athletes of all ages. Individuals in this position might also scout for talented new players to bring onto their team or to train as an individual.
Your coach job description should reference applicable educational background and experience. This typically includes at least a bachelor’s degree, often in kinesiology or a similar subject. It is also important for coaches to have extensive knowledge of the sport in which they work.
There are also some invaluable skills that most coaches share. These include excellent leadership, teaching, communication, problem solving and organizational skills. Additionally, they need to be able to motivate players and inspire excellence.
Coach Job Description Template
Looking for a way to turn your talents on the field or on the court into a career? Consider becoming a coach for the sports and recreation department at our organization. This is a position that allows you to work a job in an active, fast-paced environment and leave the typical office setting. If you have a high level of enthusiasm, energy and love for all things related to your sport, this may be the right place for you. Ideally, we are looking for someone who can help build young players’ confidence, skill and potential to transform them into self-aware, strong individuals, in sports and in their daily lives.
- Train a team of athletes on a constant basis for the ideal physical condition in their sport by using methods to help improve nutrition, muscle development, athletic skill and mental toughness.
- Teach individuals about everything related to the sport’s rules and regulations to help athletes develop a high level of understanding of their chosen game.
- Create specific physical performance conditioning programs to increase athletic performance, confidence and team winning percentage.
- Evaluate team and individual athletic performance consistently using video, photography, data sheets and other means and addressing skills deficits during practice sessions.
- Schedule practice sessions with athletes, work with the league to develop a game schedule during the season and ensure transportation and lodging are provided for travel when needed.
- Choose members of the coaching support staff and coordinate goals and strategies for improvement with assistant coaches and other staff members.
- Select and ensure top quality of team equipment, supplies and facilities, such as uniforms, practice equipment, conditioning materials, game balls, fields, indoor game areas or courts.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in sports, recreation or another field
- Experience in fitness, personal training or sports coaching
- Strong leadership ability and positive attitude
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Solid understanding of all sports rules and regulations
- Demonstrated commitment to safety on and off the field