Use this professional created Caterer job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
A caterer provides, transports, and prepares food for clients, particularly for special events such as conferences, weddings, celebrations, or large gatherings. Responsibilities may include not only providing and preparing food but also serving it and cleaning up afterwards. A catering professional may be responsible for planning a menu, setting up, or providing utensils and other equipment.
Catering does not generally require a formal education, although having training or experience in food preparation, event planning, or business management might make a candidate stronger. A caterer job description should seek candidates familiar with food safety and sanitation practices.
Generally speaking, a caterer needs to have good communication and interpersonal relationship skills as well as attention to detail. Most caterers also have some cooking ability.
Caterer Job Description Template
If you love working with people and creating a variety of foods that are both appealing to look at and tasteful to eat, then a catering position is perfect for you. As a caterer, you get to engage your creative side with new recipes, food arrangements and menus. You’ll be asked to multi-task as you prepare all dishes for an event at one time as the attendants are served each meal course by course by hired servers. You provide a tasty, relaxing meal in every situation to ensure that the attendee enjoys their experience at the event. You may also work with clients directly to deal with special requests and create menus for special events. Use your ability to think on the go when working with mobile food prep stations or non-kitchen rooms. A career as a caterer allows you to get out and see the world and the people in it.
- Design, create and submit menus for special events both large and small, and organize all items needed for delivery and meal preparation.
- Ensure that all menu items meet the expectation of the customer through advanced tastings and practice runs.
- Organize and source all ingredients needed for every item on the menu for all events.
- Finalize menu items and head counts before the event to guarantee your team is prepared for the job.
- Transport food, tables and other items needed to serve food during an event to ensure that all catering jobs move smoothly and efficiently.
- Organize the serving of the food after it is prepared in order to keep guests from getting hungry or too full all at once.
- Assist with clean up after an event to guarantee that no items are left behind to leave a bad image for the company.
- Manage other individuals, including caterers and servers, to keep the flow in the kitchen moving smoothly and to provide food to an event without problems.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Willingness to travel to different places for events
- Valid driver’s license
- Previous experience in catering or serving
- Basic computer skills