by Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D.
A non-traditional career is defined as one where more than 75 percent of the workforce is of the opposite gender — or conversely where fewer than 25 percent of the workforce is of your gender.
For women, many non-traditional careers fall into a few broad categories of jobs: labor-intensive, scientific/technical, and supervisory.
And while fewer non-traditional careers are available for men than for women, these careers tend to involve education, health, and service-related jobs. <
Non-Traditional Career Paths for Women
- Airline Pilots
- Bellhops and Porters
- Carpenters/Construction Workers
- Chefs and Head Cooks
- Film Directors
- Fishers, Hunters, Trappers
- Funeral Directors
- Garbage/Waste Collectors
- Groundskeepers and Gardeners
- Hospital Administrators
- Logging Workers
- Mail Carriers
- Meter Readers
- Parking Lot Attendants
- Pest Control Specialists
- Printing Press Operators
- Scientists and Science Teachers
- Security Guards
- Security and Fire System Installers
- Service Station Attendants
- Taxicab Drivers and Chauffeurs
- Tow Truck Operators
- Truck Drivers
Non-Traditional Career Paths for Men
- Bank Tellers
- Child Care Workers
- Clerical/Administrative Support Workers
- Court Reporters
- Dental Assistants and Hygienists
- Elementary and Middle School Teachers
- Flight Attendants
- Hair Stylists
- Home Health Aides
- Hotel Clerks
- Maids and Housekeepers
- Occupational and Physical Therapists
- Sewing Machine Operators
- Social Workers
- Speech pathologists
- Teacher Assistants
- U.S. Department of Labor: Women’s Bureau, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Unpublished data, Annual Averages 2003, Current Population Survey.
- Workplace Solutions, an initiative of Wider Opportunities for Women (WOW).
- ISEEK (Internet System for Education and Employment Knowledge), a gateway to Minnesota career, employment, education, and business development information and services.
Want to get started in one of these exciting fields? Get your resume and cover letter in order by using these helpful resources
Dr. Randall S. Hansen is founder of Quintessential Careers, one of the oldest and most comprehensive career development sites on the Web, as well CEO of EmpoweringSites.com. He is also founder of MyCollegeSuccessStory.com and EnhanceMyVocabulary.com. Dr. Hansen is also a published author, with several books, chapters in books, and hundreds of articles. He’s often quoted in the media and conducts empowering workshops around the country. Finally, Dr. Hansen is also an educator, having taught at the college level for more than 15 years. Visit his personal Website. Check out Dr. Hansen on GooglePlus.