Graduate Research Assistants work in an educational institution under the guidance of a faculty member. They often perform other duties in addition to research, such as teaching undergraduate courses, and they work these positions while pursuing their graduate studies. When applying for a job as a Graduate Research Assistant, placing an objective at the top of your resume can show the hiring committee your personal interest in the field.
What the Graduate Research Assistant Resume Objective Should Tell Prospective Employers
Graduate Research Assistants are hired by a committee that represents their department. The assistants have a wide range of duties that center around extensive research for particular faculty members in the department. This research can relate to investigations relevant to the major area of study and can also involve preparing papers and presentations for conferences. A Graduate Research Assistant must have the ability to work long hours with little supervision, a passion for their major, and the ability to work well under the guidance of a superior. They sometimes must also be able to teach those underneath them through undergraduate courses.
Sample Graduate Research Assistant Resume Objectives
Your resume objective should list anything that is unique to you and your experience. You can also discuss what you think you would bring to the department and your work ethic. Below are sample resume objectives that you can use as a guide for creating your own.
1. Seeking position as Graduate Research Assistant in the Physics department in order to provide support to faculty head in analyzing and interpreting data for ongoing project.
2. Obtain position as American Culture Studies Graduate Research Assistant to aid in preparing and editing manuscripts under department name for upcoming conference.
3. Passionate and disciplined individual seeking Graduate Research Assistant position with the Sociology department to pursue extensive research in cutting-edge hypothesis.
4. Desiring Graduate Research Assistant position in Math department to aid in theoretical analysis for further investigation.
5. Graduate student in Biology desiring position as Graduate Research Assistant to assist in gathering documentation for upcoming medical trial.
Skills To Put in a Graduate Research Assistant Resume Objective
Your objective should include not just your goals but also the skills that allow you to help employers meet theirs. A graduate research assistant needs several core types of skills, so be sure to touch on your various areas of proficiency. Some skills are in demand across the board, while others relate to your particular research area. Putting down both types presents you as a qualified, well-rounded candidate.
Your job includes substantial interaction with others: your supervisor, colleagues, and research subjects. Soft skills play an important role in managing these interactions successfully, so remember to include them. The job listing states the employer’s requirements and preferences; evaluate your qualifications to identify those that match. The following list shows you some effective descriptions of essential skills:
- Familiar with applicable FDA, EPA, and other regulations
- Statistical data analysis
- Collecting, compiling, and interpreting research data
- Developing research questionnaires and protocols and conducting subject interviews
- Preparing and presenting reports on progress of research for technical and non-technical audiences
- Staying current with professional publications
- Preparing materials for publication
- Experience using and calibrating laboratory equipment
- Collaborating with cross-functional research team
- Tracking budgets for research projects
- Collecting samples in accordance with developed protocols
- Proficient in database and spreadsheet software
Head Over to LiveCareer’s Resume Builder for more help with writing a resume objective.
Graduate Research Assistant @ University of Guelph. Plant Agriculture Department
Skilled motivated and organized student studying subjects related to Molecular Plant-Pathology and Microbiology and looking for related experience. Willing to listen and learn and excited to contribut...
10 yrs 7 mo
Graduate Research Assistant @ George Mason University
Seeking to leverage 3+ years of experience in Software Engineering, Deep learning, and Natural Language Processing as a Machine Learning Engineer or Data Scientist. Diverse portfolio of designing...
3 yrs 4 mo
Graduate Student Research Assistant @ Kansas State University
Enthusiastic wellness professional eager to contribute to client and team success through client focus and team-collaboration. Excellent communication, assessment, and recordkeeping skills. Clear unde...
13 yrs 10 mo
Graduate Student Research Assistant @ Virginia Polytechnic Institute And State University
Motivated Graduate Research Assistant and Ph.D. student in Condensed Matter Physics offering expertise in experimental material characterization via various Ultrafast Magneto-optical Spectroscopic Tec...
6 yrs 9 mo
Graduate Student Research Assistant @ University Of Georgia Athens
Intrinsically motivated and highly curious researcher who always wants to ask questions about research, and generate hypotheses to explain phenomena seen in research. Likes to think outside the box, a...
2 yrs 11 mo
Build a resume with LiveCareerBuild my resume
As seen in*
*The names and logos of the companies referred to in this page are all trademarks of their respective holders. Unless specifically stated otherwise, such references are not intended to imply any affiliation or association with LiveCareer.