Table of Contents
Select a resume template and customize
One of the first steps of getting your foot in the door at your dream job is having an effective resume. Whatever industry you’re entering, a rule of thumb is to create a resume that stands out both for its information and for its appearance – something you can easily accomplish with the right standard resume template for Word. A striking resume doesn’t have to incorporate any tricks. Instead, a good resume can be striking for its clean appearance and strong organization of facts like your job experience and education. Read on to learn how to create a resume that can easily guide the reader’s eye to the information he or she seeks.
Sections Your Resume Should Include
The standard resume template for Word provides a simple yet classic structure to help you best present your professional information. The standard resume template design includes simple sections that highlight your skills, experience and most importantly, your professional goals. Present your information the right way by choosing the right template and following our tips.
Writing Your Summary Statement
One of the simplest yet most impactful elements of a resume is the summary statement. This section helps potential employers quickly learn who you are as a professional and what makes you qualified for the position. This written version of the two-minute elevator pitch can be highly effective in landing you the interview, but only if crafted well. Present a few of your most important skills in this standard resume template for Word as well as a snapshot of your overall experience and professional goals. Here are a few great examples:
Seasoned sales representative seeking employment as a customer service specialist using extensive managerial experience and expertise in customer service within the travel and sales arenas.
Experienced sales professional looking to channel communication, interpersonal and teamwork skills into a fast-paced, full-time sales representative position in the retail cosmetics sector.
High-achieving office professional with proven project management skills seeking receptionist position in mid-sized business in the event management or digital marketing communications sectors.
Writing Your Skills Section
The skills section is where you explain in detail the practical qualifications you possess for a job, so it’s very important that it’s both clear and concise. The standard resume template for Word has a section designed to showcase your skills visually – it’s just up to you to describe your skills in vivid detail! Here are a few best practices.
• Include skills that are mentioned in the description of the job you are seeking
• Include years for certifications
• Feature only the most important, relevant skills
• Keep the list to under 10 bullets
Check out this example of a skills section for a maintenance technician:
• Plumber- Installations, repairs/all phases
• Journeyman electrician/all phases
• Certified HVAC technician (1999)
• E.P.A. Certified (2012)
• Certified in Industrial Maintenance
• O.S.H.A. Certified (2015)
• Green Technology Certified – Plumbing/Electrical/ HVAC (2016)
Writing Your Work History Section
The work history section is truly the meat and potatoes of any resume. This is where you get a chance to shine by showcasing previous positions and responsibilities that make you the best choice for the job. Fill the work history section of our standard resume template for Word with details about your present position and, ideally, details of your work history going back for as long as you feel is relevant at this point in your career. Here are some other quick tips for making the most of this section on your resume.
• Include achievements such as sales made or business milestones reached in each position rather than simply listing daily duties
• Highlight responsibilities in each position
• Use bullets rather than paragraphs to make it easier to scan this section
Here are some examples of excellent work history sections for you to model.
• Created and maintained in-house project management software
• Rewrote procedural standards for project assignments, leading to reduction in project complete times
• Audited in-house workflow identifying 10 major areas for measurable improvement
• Worked with vendors to improve standard of procedure resulting in 10% increase in revenue
• Identified opportunities for improved check-in process at five-star hotel, resulting in greatly improved customer feedback
• Designed “Children’s Check-In” process to build brand loyalty among future consumers
• Identified three burgeoning consumer target markets
• Designed and launched sales campaigns increasing sales among women 12%
Writing Your Education Section
Your level of education can be a critical deciding factor when it comes whether you will get a job interview. The education section of our standard resume template for Word makes it easy to showcase your academic acumen quickly and efficiently. You can list only your most recent certification or degree, or you can detail all of your complete academic achievements, as shown below. The most important part is making sure that a hiring manager can quickly see that you have what it takes. Here’s a good example.
Certificate in Project Management
University of Maryland
College Park, MD
Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, Minor Marketing
University of Wisconsin
Using Keywords in your Standard Resume Template for Word
Resumes aren’t always screened by people anymore. Many companies have turned to software that scans resumes to pick out the best candidates. They often depend on keywords to determine who is the best potential fit. For this reason, when using the template to craft your resume, you may want to consider ways to incorporate keywords and phrases into your summary and skills sections.
For example, in this receptionist job description, the employer is seeking someone with
• Strong problem-solving abilities
• Basic understanding of Microsoft Applications
• Ability to promote a team-oriented and positive environment
• A great attitude
Here’s a good example of a customized summary statement for this position:
Experienced receptionist looking to combine experience in Office Management and Court Administration to help staff increase office productivity and build a positive, team-oriented environment.
Here’s a skills section example:
• Advanced-level Microsoft Applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Positive, can-do attitude
• Data entry
• Type 90 wpm
• Proven problem-solving and project management skills
Using Action Verbs in Your Standard Resume Template for Word
The best way to show your potential future employer that you will be an asset is by incorporating action words. Incorporating action words as you customize this Word template will help a hiring manager better visualize how you will help grow their firm. Great action words to incorporate include managed, innovated, created, overhauled, developed, analyzed, streamlined, and reported. Here are a few examples:
- Managed team of six front-desk receptionists
- Innovated new standard of procedure to align project goals
Created new method for monthly reporting
- Overhauled project assignment standards
- Developed internal time-keeping software
- Analyzed business line performance to determine opportunities for improvement
- Streamlined sales reporting procedures to minimize paper work
- Reported on monthly sales data to corporate-level stakeholders
- Oversaw implementation of online-based check-in system
- Organized calendars and appointments for executive team
Adding Metrics to Your Standard Resume Template for Word
Across all business disciplines, metrics are typically used as key indicators of value and success. Your resume should be no different! No matter what position you’ve held, there are sure to be opportunities to incorporate metrics that reflect your effectiveness. Here are a few easy examples:
• Streamlined hotel check-in time process, increasing positive customer surveys 15%
• Expanded cold-call efforts to increase monthly sales 10% YoY
• Implemented office supply recycling program that saved the company $100,000 annually