While job seekers can use the internet to thoroughly research prospective employers, their performance in an interview will make or break the chances for a job offer. By rehearsing interview questions, they can become better prepared to demonstrate how they can benefit an employer.
Here is a list of the top 15 interview questions asked of job seekers, compiled from the country’s leading employers:
- Tell me about yourself.
- What do you know about our company?
- Why do you want to work for us?
- What unique qualities or abilities would you bring to this job?
- What are your major strengths and weaknesses?
- How long do you plan to stay at our company? Where do you see yourself in five years?
- Tell me about a time that you failed at something, and what you did afterwards.
- Describe a time when you worked on a team project. What was your relative position on the team? Were you satisfied with your contribution? How could it have been better?
- Why did you choose your school and course of study?
- Think back to a situation in which you had to resolve a conflict. Tell me how you did it.
- Tell me about a project that you had either at work or school. Describe in detail how you managed it and what the outcome was.
- What do you do in your spare time?
- What salary are you expecting?
- What other types of jobs or companies are you considering?
- Have you any questions for us?
Your goal is to persuade the employer that you have the skills, background, and ability to do the job and can comfortably fit into his/her organization. The interview outcome can be strongly influenced by realizing an interview is not an objective process in which the employer offers the job to the best candidate based on merit alone. Instead, it is a highly subjective encounter in which the interviewer offers the job to the qualified person whom he/she likes best. Personality, confidence, enthusiasm, a positive outlook, and excellent interpersonal and communication skills count heavily.
Still in the process of getting resumes and cover letters assembled to apply for jobs? Put LiveCareer’s Resume Builder and Cover Letter Builder to work and create an exceptional resume and cover letter in no time at all.