Aug 20, 2018 - 11:07 PM
• Be honest in your answer but choose your admissions wisely. Your love of Comic Con may impress younger employers at a computer company more than senior banking officials, for example.
• Focus on just a few of your interests. Share a bit of your passion for two or three areas of interest rather than rolling out a boring list of items.
• If your hobbies or community efforts have resulted in leadership positions or awards, mention them.
• Interests or hobbies that create a connection with the company are good to share.
Be careful not to make up any answers or exaggerate your interests. Avoid mentioning activities that won't reflect on your positively. If you don't have hobbies, focus on volunteer work, DIY maintenance around your home, and similar after-work tasks. Don't talk about things you don't like to do, but generally keep the conversation positive.
Finally, even though this is an informal question, don't forget to keep your answer professional. If you need more tips about preparing for a job interview, check out this website.
Jun 17, 2020 - 03:55 PM
This question can reveal a lot about your personality. Interviewers often ask about your interests to see if you will fit in with the team and company culture; to see what makes you tick; and to get just a better general idea about who you are and what you like. Obviously, your response will be as unique as you are, but the following best practices will help you make a favorable impression when you answer "What do you do for fun?" in an interview.
- Be honest. Real enthusiasm only shows if you really enjoy something and lying could come back to haunt you later.
- Choose wisely. Share examples that make a positive impact, such as a team sport or community service. Leave out activities that might be frowned upon, such as playing at poker tournaments and going night clubbing.
- Try to relate your activities to skills pertinent to the job. Playing guitar or painting portraits exercises your creativity, for example.
- Provide some details about how your hobbies fit into your life, but be brief. So if you like to run, you might say you start your day early with an hour-long run in your local park a few times per week, and participate in a yearly marathon.
For additional insight on how to answer this interview question, check out the LiveCareer article What Do You Do for Fun?. Also check out LiveCareer's Interview Questions resources for guidance on how to answer other common (and not-so-common) questions.