Aug 22, 2018 - 07:05 PM
At the same time, it's a great chance to pick the person's brain and get firsthand sage wisdom when it comes to current developments, potential future changes, and wise ways to prepare for a career in your industry. Before you start your shadowing sessions, it's a great idea to have some key questions prepared to help you learn more. We've gathered an extensive list from which you can draw, but a few examples include:
- What education and training would you suggest for a person beginning this career path?
- What types of skills must one possess to succeed in your field?
- Tell me about the biggest changes in this field since you began your career.
- Please describe a typical day at your job.
- Can you recommend specific types of summer jobs or internships I should seek out to prepare for this career?
- What significant developments do you foresee impacting this field in the future?
Feb 07, 2019 - 02:56 PM
Some job shadowing questions you should ask include:
- What is a typical day like in your job?
- What do you like most about your job?
- What do you like most about the company?
- What are some of the challenges currently facing the company, and the industry?
- What advice do you have for someone looking for a similar career?
Of course, there are other job shadowing questions you should ask as you conduct research into the company, role, and industry. A job shadowing experience is a wonderful way to get acquainted with a company (and working in general). You will have the opportunity to gain a solid understanding of an industry you are curious about. Your focus when shadowing is to pay close attention to what is happening around you so gain an understanding of potential career paths. Shadowing will help you understand if a type of position (or an actual position) is one you might want to pursue. Take notes of the things you observe so you can reference them later. And be sure to thank the employee you shadow for their time!