Use this professional created Computer Systems Analyst job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Computer systems analysts increase the efficiency of your organization by making sure that its computer systems are optimal for meeting its needs. They continuously check existing systems and stay aware of developing technologies. Analysts work with managers to learn about various departments’ needs.
A computer systems analyst must possess an in-depth knowledge of systems design and methods of increasing performance in a desired area. As different types of businesses may use various systems, many look for analysts with experience in a particular area, such as financial or health care systems.
In addition to technical knowledge, analysts need excellent communication skills. They work with managers and other users to define goals, so a computer systems analyst job description should include the ability to work well with others and understand organizational goals.
Computer Systems Analyst Job Description Template
We are a regional service provider looking for a qualified IT professional to serve as computer systems analyst. In this role, you will work closely with members of your own team as well as non-IT personnel to apply your technological skills and knowledge to help assess and diagnose issues with our internal computer network. You will get to oversee the installation and integration of new applications with our existing programs and teach our front- and back-end employees on how to effectively use them. You will also be called on to help address system issues that impact productivity. The opportunities that come with this position may serve as an excellent preparation to your assuming advanced leadership roles within our organization and/or the IT industry in general.
- Work to turn yourself into a subject matter expert in all of our equipment, programs and applications related to information technology so as to be able to solve problems and field questions in regard to their function and maintenance.
- Coordinate with the rest of our IT team as well as our data systems provider in looking into issues that lead to downtime and formulating solutions to address them as quickly as possible. When necessary, initiate systems recovery after extended network outages.
- Run routine systems and hardware checks to test network integrity and work with other analysts to develop proactive strategies to avoid outages.
- Prepare and analyze reports with members of the senior management team related to network performance, including detailed information on peak traffic times, system outages and potential security risks.
- Participate in researching new IT applications that could help improve employee and/or network performance, and assist with the implementation and integration of such tools.
- Assist in the training of all non-IT staff on the use of new applications and programs, as well as the recommended course of action following network downtime.
- Field calls related to localized system issues from employees.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in computer information systems, computer science or a related field
- Working knowledge of computer network systems framework, setup and security
- One year of experience working in IT
- Familiarity with function and troubleshooting of common network hardware components, including desktops, laptops, tablets and printers
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills