Use this professional created Carpenter job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Carpenters play a large role in construction jobs by building and repairing frameworks, stairways, rafters, doorframes and partitions with various types of materials. Depending on the project, other duties can include installing kitchen cabinets, hanging drywall, utilizing rigging hardware and cranes, and doing molding and trim work.
Your carpenter job description should reference the essential skills associated with the trade, including reading and following blueprints, accurately measuring and cutting materials, ensuring all work is level and square, having physical strength and using proper safety precautions. Carpenters should have strong attention to detail, problem-solving skills and mathematical abilities.
Carpenters may work on industrial, commercial or residential projects. Duties and materials will vary slightly between the three. Carpenters should know how to use nail guns, sanders, circular saws, levels, chisels, squares and hammers, among other tools. Your job description should specify the skills needed to utilize such tools.
Carpenter Job Description Template
If you are seeking a position where you work in a team environment but get the flexibility of an independent contractor, you may find the carpenter position at our organization to be perfect for you. We are looking for people who take pride in their work and aim to produce quality materials through their carpentry skills. The ideal candidate will be highly motivated and have experience in a variety of skilled trades. You can benefit from the large number of opportunities to earn attractive bonuses. You will also be one of the key players in a team of contractors who deliver outstanding service and products to our customers.
- Oversee an entire project plan for carpentry services, including planning, drafting, ordering of materials, construction, finishing and presenting the finished product to the customer.
- Provide support to supervisory project managers by giving updates on project timelines as tasks are completed, and inform managers of issues or concerns when appropriate.
- Work with a team of laborers and crew members by providing instruction, direction and support during the course of the project.
- Determine the appropriate materials and supplies necessary for each step of the job and generate accurate lists of everything that is required.
- Acknowledge and record all costs of materials, labor and other extras during the course of the project scope and plan of action.
- Ensure the workplace site is mapped out properly so that all team members can do their jobs safely and efficiently.
- Analyze project blueprints and plans to ensure that measurements, processes and materials are properly being followed for best results.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- At least five years of experience in carpentry in a variety of settings
- Own and operate your own truck that has the capabilities to transport materials
- Dependable and strong work ethic
- Bachelor’s degree or some college experience
- Energetic with the ability to manage work independently