Use this professional created Cement Mason job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Cement masons are responsible for placing and sometimes finishing concrete. They create columns, beams, sidewalks, panels and other surfaces of concrete, expose aggregate, color surfaces, level materials and utilize specific tools for spreading. Depending on the job, a cement mason may also use special machines to vibrate concrete to ensure air pockets are filled.
Your cement mason job description should point out that excellent physical abilities and a thorough understanding of the properties of concrete are necessary. Many cement masons learn the trade through an apprenticeship program, so reference this if needed.
Cement masons also must be diligent and have good monitoring skills, as they are required to determine how certain conditions can affect curing during the pouring, leveling and finishing process. Your job description should reference attention to detail and observation abilities.
Cement Mason Job Description Template
Cement masons and concrete finishers enjoy working with their hands and changing their environment on almost a daily basis. A cement mason has the task of ensuring that concrete is workable and at the correct consistency. You’ll get to use both your creative side and your attention to detail a cement mason. You’ll have the opportunity to work on a variety of different projects, which could include walls, slabs, elevated structures and steps. Our cement masons occasionally operate the cement mixer and other heavy machinery and are responsible for pouring concrete into the correct places, any of which can serve as learning opportunities. If you want a job that allows you to improve the beauty and functionality of your community, this could be the ideal position for you.
- Examine concrete forms to ensure they are properly constructed and can hold the correct amount of cement to complete a job.
- Level, smooth and spread concrete using a variety of tools, including shovels, floats, rakes, power or hand trowels or power or hand screeds.
- Monitor how heat, cold and wind affect the curing of the concrete throughout the entire building process.
- Set forms designed to hold concrete to desired depth and pitch while aligning them.
- Direct cement truck driver to park to ensure that concrete can be poured in the correct spot and move the truck’s chute to put concrete in the right places.
- Mold expansion edges and joints using jointers and straightedge as well as edging tools.
- Compact concrete with power vibrator and produce a rough concrete surface using a broom.
- Direct other cement masons and employees to guarantee that concrete is poured and smoothed correctly to prevent future problems with the build.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Journeyman-level knowledge on mixing, pouring, finishing and selecting concrete
- Punctual and consistent attendance
- 1-5 years previous experience as a cement mason
- Flexible schedule and availability
CREATE MY JOB DESCRIPTION
View More Construction Job Descriptions