When you walk into a professional interview, you will be asked a number of questions about your career and future intentions. The hiring manager may ask, “Why did you decide to work for this company” The interviewer poses this question for a few reasons. He or she wants to know about your goals and If your professional plan fits the position. The hiring manager also wants to make sure that you’re genuinely interested in the job so that you’ll be motivated to perform. The interviewer also wants to find out how much you know about the industry and to understand your preferences and priorities. Ultimately, the hiring manager wants to find someone who fits into the work environment and will enjoy working with the company.
Points to Emphasize
The hiring manager wants to see that you are excited and willing to work, so be prepared to make that apparent in your answer.
- Highlight what you know about the company including names of leaders, community involvement and market position.
- Emphasize your overall career goals and how the position fits into that your trajectory.
- Focus on the real reasons why you applied to the position.
- Concentrate on why you enjoy your work or position.
Interviewers are attracted to confidence and honesty, so exemplify these qualities in your response.
Mistakes You Should Avoid
While you do want to sneak in a few comments about your effectiveness, you should still focus on the heart of the question. Look over these tips and keep them in mind as you form a response:
- Avoid an overly general answer that can apply to any enterprise.
- Do not provide an uninformed response that shows you haven’t done research about the company.
- Avoid appearing unenthusiastic about the position or future prospects.
- Do not mention the company being in a convenient location or having high pay grades.
Try to be as positive as possible and show that you really know a good bit about the company and its operational practices.
Here is an example of a good answer to the question of why you chose a particular company:
I applied for a position with this company because I want a more challenging environment that can foster professional growth and advancement. With my years of experience in the industry, I think I’m ready for the next step with a market leader such as this enterprise, and this company has a reputation for taking care of its own.
Remember, pull on any knowledge you have about the company and even do some research before the interview.