In asking this question, interviewers are trying to gauge how much you truly want to work for their company. If you can show a genuine interest, then they can feel more assured that you would be committed to the position and the company. Therefore, it is critical that you answer this question correctly.
Points to Emphasize
In properly answering this question, there are a few points to emphasize.
- Demonstrate that you are knowledgeable of the company by sharing facts that you have uncovered.
- Make a few correlations between the company and your particular skills, talents or characteristics.
- If you have a positive relationship with a productive employee of the company, mention it.
- Show enthusiasm about the opportunity to join and contribute to the company.
To be able to craft the best possible answer to this question, you will want to look up some information on the company. This can easily be accomplished through a quick internet search.
Mistakes You Should Avoid
Answering this question incorrectly could greatly diminish your chances of a securing the position you seek. Here are a few mistakes that you should try to avoid.
- Stay away from general answers that could be applied to any company within their industry.
- Do not focus your answer on you; it could seem as if you feel the company needs you.
- Even if you have applied for several similar jobs, do not mention that fact.
- Do not try to breeze over the question; you may appear uninterested.
A great sample answer to inquiries about your interest in working for a particular company might sound like this:
In researching your company I saw your numerous recognitions and awards, including your high ranking as one of the best places to work. I am also connect with a few of your employees on a business networking site and noticed that we share many of the same skill sets, so I believe that I could fit in and flourish with your company.
Remember, you want to show that you have given some thought to applying for this position and that you did not just submit your application on a whim.