In some situations, this question may feel like the sort that an interviewer asks to eliminate those who are ill prepared to perform the work at hand. While that may be one purpose such a question serves, the greater likelihood is that the interviewer hopes to understand whether or not you comprehend what the job entails.
The hiring manager has a very clear view of the job’s daily requirements. Your answer will help him or her to glean how well you also understand those requirements and whether or not you would be open to the idea of furthering your education to perform it as well as possible.
Points to Emphasize
Your careful response to this question helps to create a better understanding of the skills and characteristics you offer your future employer.
- Discuss diverse educational opportunities that have improved your ability to perform the job.
- Talk about your personal skills and what you would be willing to do to improve them.
- Portray your skills and characteristics in a manner that best shows their usefulness for effective work.
- Explain how your personal experiences and education help to make you the best candidate for the job..
Keeping your response positive will help your interviewer to see that you are committed to doing the best work possible.
Mistakes You Should Avoid
Interview questions and their responses help hiring managers to imagine how you would perform in the field. To avoid pitfalls that may harm that perspective:
- Do not give the impression that you do not value the education you have achieved.
- Do not attempt to belittle your own education or make light of educational standards in the field.
- Do not act as if educational experience has no bearing on the work at hand.
- Do not forget that experience is the best educator.
The interviewer will be impressed by your deep understanding of the work expected of you. A clear, concise response will demonstrate your clear perspective on both the question and the answer.
The ideal answer to a question about the optimum educational preparation for this position may sound like this:
My desire to work well and successfully within the field has led me to pursue every educational opportunity available. Personal skills and characteristics converge with those experiences to make me the very best candidate for the job. Whatever duties I am expected to perform will be accomplished ethically and professionally, according to my formal education and life experience.
Because this question is designed to reveal a great deal about personal work ethic and comprehension of the field itself, careful and considerate response is crucial. The interviewer will be pleasantly surprised by an answer that demonstrates a firm understanding of the demanding role employees are expected to fill.