When you are asked in for an interview, it’s important to be prepared to answer many types of questions, including “what kind of personality do work best with and why” Understanding exactly why the interviewer is asking this personality-based question is the first step to a successful answer.
While this question sounds like the hiring manager is asking for you to explain a simple personality, it really is much more complex than that. By asking what personalities you prefer to work with, the interviewer is trying to find out what kind of personality you have. With your response to this query, you are showing the interviewer what type of work environment you can handle and if you’ll be a good fit for this potential company.
Points to Emphasize
Answering questions regarding personality should be done with confidence in your response, no matter what that answer might be.
- Always answer honestly and openly to give the hiring manager your best impression.
- Highlight your skills and abilities throughout your answer rather than just talking about others’ personalities.
- Show that you care about teamwork and value working with many different personality types.
- Tailor your answer towards the company by paying attention throughout the interview and researching beforehand.
Keeping your potential company in mind throughout your response will show the interviewer that you are loyal and determined to work for them.
Mistakes You Should Avoid
With so many ways to answer such a question, you can run into various problems and potential pitfalls.
- Don’t get too specific with various personalities as this shows that you are unwilling to adapt.
- Do not portray yourself as someone who doesn’t get along well with everyone.
- Don’t give a vague answer that won’t set you apart from the rest of the candidates.
- Don’t forget that you’ll most likely be working with people who are similar to you so answer accordingly.
Avoid these common mistakes and come out on top of this personality-based query.
An exceptional answer to this question about personalities that you work well with would go something like this:
As someone who thoroughly enjoys working as a team, I have become accustomed to working with all sorts of personalities. I love meeting new people and sharpening my people-skills as I learn to collaborate with and lead those around me. I believe that strengthening the unity of the office as a whole has a positive effect on both the people employed there and on the overall success of the company.
Answering this question honestly gives the interviewer a better glimpse into who you really are as a person.