When a job-seeker comes to an interview, they are probably excited, but they also want to get to know the company a bit more. This means they have to ask questions about the company’s values, past and future. When you get asked about the expansion of the company, the interviewee is asking if you think the company has potential for growth. Many people want to be a part of something big. They want to help a company grow and expand. If this question is asked, they could be trying to figure out if they can help this company reach new potentials.
Points to Emphasize
Remember, when you answer this question you want to make sure to highlight some very important points.
- Talk about ways that the company can grow.
- Discuss how the company has grown in recent years.
- Briefly go over how the company foresees employees being a part of the growth.
- Also, talk about the company’s views on expansion, growth and reaching into new markets.
You want to make your company look like an appealing place of employment. You can do this by briefly discussing its growth potential.
Mistakes You Should Avoid
There are certain pitfalls that this type of question has that you want to make sure to avoid.
- Do not talk about any sensitive information. Yes, this person is applying to work for the company, but they do not yet work for the company.
- Refrain from badmouthing the company, management or anyone associated with the company.
- Try not to give an answer that is either too long or too short. You want to be informative, yet concise.
- Don’t blatantly say that there is not growth in the company’s future. This will turn candidates away from the company, and it is probably not true.
Try to give an informative, concise, positive answer that will give prospective employees an idea of how the company is able to grow. This will make them interested in being a part of the growth.
Here is an example of what a great answer to this difficult question might look like:
There are many areas in which our company has the potential to grow. We are constantly looking for ways to become marketable in new areas. Just last year we expanded our global reach because of some new products that we introduced. Because of this huge ability for growth, we will have to expand our facilities or build new facilities in a different location. As we add more employees, we get new ideas thrown in that will help the company continue to expand.
Giving an informative answer will make the candidate eager to work for the company.