In asking this question, interviewers are trying to gauge how serious you are about your career. Those who study the industry appear to be more dedicated and interviewers might think that such individuals would contribute more to the position. Therefore, it is critical that you show your knowledge and passion for the job.
Points to Emphasize
To demonstrate your knowledge, there are points that you should emphasize.
- Give a summary of the common skills necessary for jobs within the industry.
- List three to four jobs within the field.
- Express your interest or aptitude to fulfill such positions.
- Show a desire to grow within the field; if you have a plan to do so, briefly share it.
In answering the question, you want to make sure that you provide a clear, intelligible answer.
Mistakes You Should Avoid
There are a few mistakes and pitfalls that you will want to avoid.
- Do not try to breeze over the question by giving a general list of job characteristics.
- Do not only describe the job that you are applying for.
- Even if you are not fully aware of many jobs within the field, do not make any up.
- Stay away from giving a laundry list of jobs.
Make sure that your answer clearly shows an understanding of the industry. To accomplish this, it is critical to do your research.
A good answer to the question could sound like this:
Jobs within the field of hospitality are quite varied, though they share a common goal of providing exceptional experiences for all types of individuals. Some of the most common jobs available within the field include party or event planners, and all positions within the hotel and restaurant industries, including front desk and hotel managers, servers, hosts and concierges. Airport workers, pilots, flight attendants and baggage carriers are also members in the field. I love the idea of creating a memorable and exciting experience for guests and have enjoyed learning the different aspects of positions within the field.
Be sure that your answer provides a combination of knowledge and interest in your selected field.