As you are reaching the conclusion of your informational interview, you should expect certain questions to pop up like: “If I wanted to obtain a job here, who would be the best person to contact”
It is important to remember that an informational interview should not turn into a typical job interview. If the interviewer starts inquiring about current openings at your company, then that is a clear sign they altered his or her intentions. However, questions that would be beneficial to someone in the future when they are actually conducting their job search are all right. For this particular question, it is okay to say what the best way is to learn of future job openings.
Points to Emphasize
A response to providing contact information should be short, simple and to the point.
· Talk about the best way to learn about job openings (website, email, phone call, etc.)
· Discuss who the applicant should get in touch with
· Give the interviewer your business card if you want
· Say if there are any skills the interviewer needs to gain before applying for a job here
It is also acceptable to give the interviewer advice regarding how to find positions at companies like yours.
Mistakes You Should Avoid
Giving your honest advice is the ideal way to avoid making any of these errors in your response.
· Avoid telling the interviewer you won’t provide that information
· Don’t feel the need to discuss current job openings (this question is meant for the future)
· Avoid saying, “I don’t know”
· Avoid giving a vague response that doesn’t really tell the interviewer anything
There should be someone you work with who has the primary responsibility of handling new hires. Give the interviewer that person’s information so that he or she will be prepared when the job hunt begins.
In order to give the interviewer the greatest amount of benefit, frame your response like this.
Here’s my business card. It has all the information you need to learning about job openings. Feel free to email the company directly if you would like to inquire about any vacancies. The person actually in charge of new hires is Jessica. Her phone number is XXX-XXX-XXXX. Feel free to give her a call any time if you are looking for a new job. She’ll tell you everything you need to know.
Depending on the size of your company, there may be a single person in charge of hiring new workers or the position may be more loosely-defined. The important thing is to give the interviewer the best information you can.