When you get asked to describe your work style, the interviewer is trying to find out how you work. They want to know if you work well with others, or if you prefer working on your own. The hiring manager also wants to know if you work well with your boss. The answer to this question will tell them about your communication skills. They may also me trying to figure out how committed you would be to the job. Would you work extra hours to be successful Finally, the interviewer is also trying to learn about your approach to a work day. Do you plan what you’re going to do, or do you go by the seat of your pants
Points to Emphasize
When you answer this question, make sure to underline attributes that make you qualified for this job.
- Do some research about the company so you know if teamwork is important, if they communicate through emails, phone calls or texts more and if everyone works the same hours.
- Talk about your experience with office communication.
- Discuss how you plan out your day in order to be the most productive that you can be.
- Talk about your more flattering traits such as hardworking, dedicated, goal oriented, great collaborator or stellar communicator.
Give an answer that helps the interviewer picture you successfully doing the job.
Mistakes You Should Avoid
There are some pitfalls you want to avoid.
- Do not talk about traits that do not line up with the values of the company.
- Try not to be too long winded.
- Don’t discuss your strong desire to always be home by five because this shows you may not stick around to make sure things get done as needed.
- Be careful to not say anything negative.
Give an answer that is positive and in line with the values of the company.
Here is an example of a great answer:
I am a hard-worker, so I like to get in early and stay until I have all of my goals for the day accomplished. I always make sure to do the high priority projects first. I’m a big believer in delegation, so I don’t have a problem working with a boss who just gives me the main objectives and lets me work out the best way to reach those objectives. I also think that with delegation comes collaboration because sometimes it takes a team to get a project completed successfully. I also know the importance of communicating with my boss and team members because then nothing will get done twice and everything will get done.
Give a confident, relevant answer.