When employers review the resumes of heavy equipment operators, they typically search for a few core traits and elements of experience that not all candidates can claim. These include a familiarity with the equipment most relevant to the job, a willingness to learn new things, flexibility, reliability, and a commitment to safety. If you have the right training and an impeccable safety record, don’t miss a chance to mention this in your resume. As you examine this heavy equipment operator resume example, you’ll notice that these credentials take center stage. You’ll also need to discuss your formal education and your past positions, including your primary responsibilities in these roles.
Resume Tips for Heavy Equipment Operator
Your job hunt requires more than searching for the next employment opportunity. You need to stand out among the competition. Learn how to use networking, social media and other tools to your advantage when applying for jobs as a heavy equipment operator.
1. Understand your short-term and long-term needs. This helps determine your best career path. For example, depending on your needs or long-term goal, consider freelance or temporary jobs as you search for a permanent position.
2. Network through the “backdoor. ” In other words, ask your professional contacts for an internal employee referral. That can help get your resume past the HR or recruiting team red tape and get your resume in front of a hiring manager.
3. Manage your social media. Social media is meant to be social. So create a strong personal brand. With more recruiters and hiring managers looking online for prospective employees, it’s important to have your best virtual foot forward.
4. Join the local chapter of a professional association. Local professionals have ground-level knowledge about jobs as a heavy equipment operator and the surrounding area.
5. Keep calm and carry on. More often than not, landing a job takes longer than the desired timeframe. However, these various job-hunting tools and techniques help you stay sharp when the next opportunity knocks.
Heavy Equipment Operator Advice
The job hunt involves many moving parts, and your resume will always be a key piece in applying for jobs as a heavy equipment operator. A winning resume opens the door to an interview with the company. Make your resume stand out among the competition by incorporating the following tips:
1. Describe accomplishments through numbers. Quantifying with percentage or dollar figures offer concrete details to the reader, who is most likely the hiring manager. For example, include the number of employees your supervised or the dollar amount of generated sales for your company.
2. Select a readable resume format. It’s tempting to use fancy fonts or a non-traditional format for your resume, but make sure that it’s still readable at a glance. White space, bullet points and appropriate font size helps with readability.
3. Include keywords from the job posting. Many companies use a computer program to track resumes for keywords before a live person sees the resumes. Get past the tracking system by ensuring that the job description keywords are in your resume.
4. Emphasize transferrable skills. When describing your past job history, make sure to skills that are applicable to various types of jobs as a heavy equipment operator. Project management, analytical, problem solving or customer service are examples of transferrable skills.
5. Customize your resume for every job application. Shift the content of your resume around to emphasize different skills and strengths that are relevant to the job you are applying to.
Heavy Equipment Operator Job Seeking Tips
To be a heavy equipment operator, you’ll need to understand how to operate a variety of specialized vehicles such as bulldozers, backhoes, trenchdiggers, belly dumps, cranes, bobtail trucks, tractor weed movers and more. The resume examples below can guide you in developing your heavy equipment operator resume, so you can get employed sooner. Use these resume examples as a first step, then choose your template and design to begin building your own heavy equipment operator resume!
No Experience Heavy Equipment Operator Resume
There are plenty of opportunities to land a Heavy Equipment Operator job position, but it won’t just be handed to you. Crafting a Heavy Equipment Operator resume that catches the attention of hiring managers is paramount to getting the job, and LiveCareer is here to help you stand out from the competition.
Summary: Qualified Heavy Equipment Operator who stays current with public safety and security standards. Safely operates and man...
Experience: 15 yrs 7 mo
Summary: Seeking a challenging career in the all general fields where I can utilize my previous experience to improve my skills ...
Experience: 5 yrs 5 mo
Experience: 5 yrs 1 mo