In a highly competitive job market, job-seekers need every advantage possible. One of the greatest tools to gain an advantage is the use of storytelling — so that it is YOUR story that not only helps an employer remember you and your accomplishments, but also gets you the job.
Job-seekers can use storytelling and compelling narratives in numerous situations — from networking to interviewing, including such tools as the Elevator Speech (Pitch), LinkedIn profile, resumes and cover letters, and much more.
The focus of Job Action Day 2014 is to provide a wide variety of advice, tools, and resources — to educate you convince you, and assist you in building and perfecting how, when, and why to use storytelling for success.
Job Action Day 2014, the seventh-annual initiative spearheaded by Quintessential Careers, includes expert and empowering articles, tips, and blog posts that give job-seekers information, ideas, and concrete steps that you can take to harness the power of story and create a unique and power narrative that will propel your career forward.
Job Action Day 2014 Expert Articles:
Storytelling for Career and Job-Search Success Articles
- Changing the Inside Story: The Story You Tell Yourself Is More Important than the Story You Tell Employers, by Susan Britton Whitcomb
- Four New Ways to Tell Your Career Story, by Hannah Morgan
- The Latest and Greatest in Career Storytelling: Perspectives and Resources for Telling Your Story in Job Search and Career, by Katharine Hansen, Ph.D.
- Promote Yourself in Order to Promote Yourself: Storytelling for Career Success, by Rick Gillis
- Storytelling Tips From Career Experts, compiled by Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D.
- Take a Page from Marketing to Give Your Job Search a Boost, by Karen Siwak
- Tell Your Career Story to Connect You and Cut Through the Clutter, by Deborah Shane
- Tell Your Story: For Job, Promotion, Business Success, by David Couper
- 3 Steps to Storytelling Success in Your Job Search, by Laura Labovich
- Tips for Using Storytelling to Strengthen Your Job-Search, by Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D.
- We Are the Stories We Sell Ourselves, by Wendy Terwelp
- Your Profile is Your Story, by Nancy J. Miller
Storytelling for Interviewing Success Articles
- Capturing the Job Interview: The Importance of Storytelling, by Russ Hovendick
- Creating Interview Stories, by Bill Burnett
Storytelling for Resume Success Articles
- Every Resume Tells a Story, by Debra Wheatman
- Storytelling in Your Resume: Why and How, by Katharine Hansen, Ph.D.
- Storytelling on a Resume: A Recruiter’s Perspective, by Maureen Crawford Hentz
Storytelling for Career Brand Success Articles
- Five Keys to Developing Your Personal Brand Story, by Walter Akana
- Seven Steps to Tell Your Personal Brand Story on LinkedIn, by Rachel DiCaro Metscher
- What’s Your Career Brand Story? Meg Guiseppi
- Whitney Johnson Storied Biography Sample, by Jacqui Barrett-Poindexter
Career Experts and Bloggers Participating in Job Action Day 2014
- Walter Akana, career and life strategist, Success Reimagined
- Jacqui Barrett-Poindexter, chief career writer and partner, CareerTrend
- Bill Burnett, author, The Peak Interview
- David Couper, CEO, David Couper Consulting
- Maureen Crawford Hentz, recruiter and talent management guru.
- Rick Gillis, principal, The Really Useful Job Company
- Meg Guiseppi, CEO, ExecutiveCareerBrand.com
- Katharine Hansen, PhD., creative director, Quintessential Careers
- Randall S. Hansen, PhD., CEO Quintessential Careers
- Russ Hovendick, President, Client Staffing Solutions, Inc.
- Laura Labovich, CEO, Career Strategy Group
- Nancy J. Miller, lifework creativity coach, Creative LifeWork Design
- Hannah Morgan, owner, Career Sherpa
- Rachel Metscher, social media strategist, Metscher’s Musings
- Miriam Salpeter, social media strategist of Keppie Careers
- Deborah Shane, founder, DeborahShaneToolBox.com
- Karen Siwak, executive director, Resume Confidential
- Wendy Terwelp, president, Opportunity Knocks
- Debra Wheatman, president, CareersDoneWrite
- Susan Britton Whitcomb, founder and president, TheAcademies.com
Career Blog Posts About Job Action Day 2014
- Founder of StoryResumes Touts: Marketing Savvy + Story = Get Noticed Faster in Your Job Search. A Storied Career
- Getting Beyond the Interview: Job Action Day 2014. Career Doctor Blog
- How to Tell Your Career Story so People Will Listen. Keppie Careers
- Today is Job Action Day: Are You Ready to Tell Your Story? Quintessential Careers Blog
Job Action Day was established by Quintessential Careers, the Web’s leading career site, as an annual event that brings together career experts and bloggers to provide the most relevant advice to job-seekers and workers.