Use this professional created Programmer job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Programmers ensure that software programs and computer applications function properly by creating and testing code. They create code from program designs given to them by software developers. They are also responsible for testing new applications and fixing any errors that occur.
Because programmers work with software developers, leadership and a strong ability to work in a team are important qualities to have. A must-have trait is attention to detail because small code mistakes can cause entire programs not to work. Depending on the organization’s needs, a programmer job description should require that applicants be well versed in particular coding, such as Java or C++.
Additionally, programmers generally have bachelor’s degrees, but some only have associate degrees. Some may receive certifications in the products they use, and others gain experience through internships at software companies.
Programmer Job Description Template
Don’t miss out on this exciting opportunity for you to display your programming skills in a variety of different computer languages, including Java and C++. Our stellar programming team works to expand and update existing applications while assembling new code into a language the computer can understand. As a computer programmer, you make software practically applicable to the company’s goals and ideals, acting as the middleman between the vision of software design and the reality of daily use by our clients. Our team of programmers debugs and tests new software to guarantee that they produce the results our company needs. Also test your critical thinking and problem-solving skills by fixing programs that don’t work properly.
- Complete trial runs of software applications and programs to ensure that instructions are correct and the company gets the desired result.
- Check for errors in the code and fix them in order to ensure that the software can handle the tasks required on a daily basis.
- Review, analyze, write and rewrite programs by applying knowledge of symbolic logic, subject matter and computer capabilities.
- Perform systems programming and analysis to ensure computer systems are being used appropriately.
- Assist and consult with system analysts and computer programs to find and resolve problems in current software programs.
- Update, maintain and write new computer software or algorithms to handle jobs such as retrieving and storing data, tracking inventory or controlling equipment.
- Improve employee productivity by producing software programs that are coded to minimize error and bugs.
- Clarify program intent, brainstorm changes and identify problems with existing or new code to engineering, technical and managerial personnel on a weekly basis.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in computer science or similar subject
- Specialization certificate in at least two programming languages
- Knowledge of server and network protocols
- Attention to detail
- General business experience
- Hands-on experience with debugging programs and writing code