Mar 22, 2021 - 02:34 PM
- Read the job ad. Highlight your transferable skills.
- Develop stories for each skill using the STAR technique (situation, task, action and result).
- Rehearse your stories, considering how they relate to common interview questions.
- Tell your best stories during the interview.
- Reiterate your skills in a thank you note.
Transferable skills are key to getting a job in a different industry. To prepare to discuss them in job interviews, you must first identify your transferable skills. Read the job ad multiple times, highlighting the skills you possess. These are your transferable skills.
Next, develop stories for each skill. Use the STAR technique. Each story should present a situation, explain the task, reveal the action you took and the final result. This helps you structure stories for maximum impact. Make sure to rehearse them, and have your best ones ready to go for the interview.