Use this professional created Senior Cashier job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Senior cashiers are responsible for accepting payments for fees and goods or services rendered. They must handle complex procedures with sound, independent judgment. They also must receive orders and prepare invoices and bills according to established procedures.
An ideal senior cashier should be good at mathematics and know and understand bookkeeping practices. In your senior cashier job description, you should mention this position requires two years of related clerical experience, including handling money, or an equivalent and acceptable combination of experience and education.
You should also stress that honesty and integrity are important. Senior cashiers are responsible for handling cash and check payments and balancing cash drawers against receipts. Interpersonal skills and leadership abilities are vital, as senior cashiers also train new cashiers and oversee other cashiers.
Senior Cashier Job Description Template
If customer service with a smile is your forte, we want you to join our team of dedicated senior cashiers. You’ll be responsible for greeting and directing customers as well as completing transactions and generally being a knowledgeable point of contact for anyone who needs help. We understand how important our cashiers are to our business, and we do everything we can to show them how much we value their contribution. You will enjoy a positive team environment as well as managers who encourage innovation and are ready to help you prepare for the next step in your career. If you are excited to make a great impression on every customer, we are ready to reward you with competitive pay, a flexible schedule, and fantastic benefits.
- Interact with customers and receive payment in various forms including cash, checks, credit cards, gift cards, and vouchers.
- Complete other financial transactions for customers such as issuing receipts, completing refunds and exchanges, and returning change or credits as necessary.
- Communicate effectively and professionally with customers by greeting people, answering questions, providing information, assisting in transactions, and resolving complaints according to standard policies.
- Utilize various devices such as point-of-sale systems, credit card readers, cash registers, and calculators to tabulate bills, calculate change, and create receipts.
- Use paging systems as necessary to communicate with customers, call for assistance, and provide important information.
- Clean and maintain checkout areas and organize cash drawers, price sheets, and informational signage.
- Mentor, train, manage, and oversee junior cashiers as necessary by providing assistance during customer interactions, verifying prices, and acting according to store policy.
- Maintain checkout equipment by completing frequent cleaning and restocking of cash and receipt paper, and communicate with technical personnel when necessary to facilitate repairs and upgrades.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Willing to participate in on-the-job training
- Must be at least 16 years old with basic math skills and fluent in English
- Ability to handle questions and confrontations calmly and professionally
- Physically able to stand for long hours at a time and complete repetitive motions
- Previous experience in a related job