Jobs in Winter Haven, FL
- 249,425 Resumes
- 2,263 Jobs Available
- 36,371 Population
- $54,000 Average Salary
Winter Haven, Florida, sits in Polk County near the center of the state. This city is one of the principal cities of the Lakeland-Winter Haven metropolitan statistical area. As you search for jobs in Winter Haven, it is important that you learn more about the local job market. Gain preliminary information about job prospects, the job search and different job salaries.
The unemployment rate in Polk County is 5.7 percent, which signifies that the job market in the area is manageable, yet difficult especially when compared to the national unemployment rate of 5.3 percent. The top five performing industries in the area are trade, transportation and utilities; professional and business services; education and health services; government; and leisure and hospitality. Leisure and hospitality has grown by 8.9 percent over the past year. The largest occupations are retail salesperson, combined food preparation and serving worker, cashier and heavy truck driver. The average weekly wage in the United States is $1,048, but in Polk County it is only $730.
Finally, you have to make sure to focus on your resume. The resume is one of the most critical tools in your job search arsenal. Use these tips to build an outstanding document:
1. Tweak your resume for every position you apply to, so you can focus on skills and experience that fit that job.
2. Discuss your experience in terms of accomplishments and metrics to make it more engaging for the hiring manager.
3. Give your resume a clear focus because often hiring managers simply skim through dozens of resumes.
4. Put your content in a reverse chronological order to ensure your more recent and relevant experience is at the top.
5. Use distinct headers and bullet points to make your document reader-friendly.
Finding jobs in Winter Haven and the rest of the county depends a lot on the actions that you take. Use these tips to make your entire job search easier:
1. Focus on communication. It is important that you communicate with people in your network, so you can learn about new opportunities. You have to communicate with potential employers to send in your resume, go to an interview and follow up after the interview. Communication is a key part of the entire job search process.
2. Focus on research. The information you can gather about job opportunities, different companies, different careers and even different industries can help you have an easier job search. If you know what type of positions you want and where you want to work, you have a better idea of what to look for. The more you know about a company, the more you’ll be able to connect during an interview and ask really thoughtful questions. The amassing of information is an integral part of finding a job.
3. Focus on yourself. In order to really promote yourself well, you have to have a bit of self-reflection. Focusing on yourself will help you better understand your own skills and what you want out of your career. Taking the time to self-reflect can help save you time in the future because you will be more likely to find jobs in Winter Haven that you will actually enjoy doing.
4. Focus on the opportunities. You have to know where to look to find job possibilities. There are a lot of different avenues to go down. You can look online at job posting sites, company websites, job forums and on social media. You can look the old fashioned way in the newspaper, at job fairs, at career centers or at workshops. You can even use your network to find more opportunities.
5. Focus on the interview. Preparing yourself for the interview is an essential part of the job search process. You can practice common interview questions. You should think of stories you can use to showcase your skills. You should even think about what you’ll wear and how you can use your nonverbal cues. More than that, you should focus on listening throughout the interview, so you can have an engaging conversation with the hiring manager.