Jobs in Winona, MN
- 86 Resumes
- 1,476 Jobs Available
- 27,384 Population
- $51,000 Average Salary
Winona, Minnesota, sits in the bluff country of the Mississippi River with the most noticeable physical landmark being the Sugar Loaf. Winona is in and the county seat of Winona County. As you search for jobs in Winona, it doesn’t really matter where it is or what it has to offer. Instead, you have to find out what you can about the job market, job search and typical salaries.
The unemployment rate in Winona County is comparably low at 3.2 percent compared to the national unemployment rate of 5.3 percent. This shows that the overall job market in the area is rather promising. The top performing industries in the Minneapolis-St Paul area, which is approximately 100 miles away, are trade, transportation and utilities; education and health services; professional and business services; government; and manufacturing. The leisure and hospitality sector has grown by 5.3 percent in the past year. The largest occupations in La Crosse, Wisconsin, which is just across the river from Winona, are registered nurses, retail salespersons and customer service representatives. The average weekly wage in Winona County is $731, which is significantly lower than the national average weekly wage of $1,048.
A resume is a common and important job search tool. Many job searches actually depend on having a topnotch resume. You can use these tips to help you build an outstanding document no matter your level of experience:
1. If you have no experience designing resumes, you can use one of the resume templates. However, you may want to consider designing your own, so it will stand out more.
2. Always ensure your resume is completely accurate and error-free.
3. Try to include transferrable skills, accomplishments, keywords and metrics throughout your resume.
4. Don’t get too hung up on keeping your resume to one page or always having a certifications section. Some resume writing rules can be broken from time to time.
5. Create your resume in different delivery formats, such as a PDF, plain text or web version.
Finding jobs in Winona will probably be a long and challenging road. Like in the rest of the country, you have to know what steps to take in order to be successful. Consider these tips throughout your job search:
1. Make a plan. For many jobseekers, the job search is simply sending out a ton of resumes. However, there can be a lot more meaningful activities in the process. You can go to career-building workshops, build up your network and take courses to gain new skills. Make a plan that will not only get you a job, but make you better suited for the job as well.
2. Don’t underestimate self-reflection. If you take the time to look at your skills and interests, you will be more likely to find a job that you can grow in. Finding work is important, but you should strive to find fulfilling work with a future for you.
3. Consider taking small steps. In an ideal world you would find your dream job at the end of a job search. However, you should consider a smaller step than landing your dream job. Consider finding an entry level job in a company you can grow in or a temporary job in a company you want to permanently work for.
4. Be on the lookout for opportunities. You should check the normal newspapers and online job posting sites. You should also go to job fairs, join professional forums and look for opportunities everywhere. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there as you try to find jobs in Winona.
5. Use your social media. Did you know that more and more employers are using social media to find and vet potential workers? This means you have to use your Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other social media sites for professional gain. Share articles related to your industry to help build your authority on the subject matter.