Jobs in Wichita Falls, TX
- 282,259 Resumes
- 805 Jobs Available
- 105,114 Population
- $53,000 Average Salary
Wichita Falls, TX is the Wichita County seat. It is more familiarly-known as the home of Sheppard Air Force Base. It is also the home of the Vernon College branch, the Wayland Baptist University branch, and Midwestern State University. Temps average between 80 to 96+ degrees in summer and 54 to 75 degrees in the winter months. The City of Wichita Falls offers parks, biking, walking/running, and nature trails, boating and fishing, and Castaway Cove Waterpark. It also hosts a variety of sports events, music, dining, and entertainment, and, coliseum, exhibition hall and multi-purpose auditorium, and agricultural center venues. If you’re looking for employment in Wichita Falls, you’ll want to be familiar with the local job market, job prospects, and average salaries. Full-time and part-time work may be found at the city/county offices, local school district and university, and healthcare facilities.
The Wichita Falls area is included in the Wichita Falls, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area and Wichita County. It has a Sep 2015 unemployment rate of 4.4 percent. This is down from 4.7 percent in Sep 2014 and below the 5.2 percent national average. However, it remains higher than the overall 4.2 percent state average (US Bureau of Labor Statistics). Wichita Falls employment has been concentrated in management (military/government), sales and related, food preparation and serving related, and office and administrative support sectors. As of May 2014, occupations employing the most workers in the Wichita Falls area were: 1.Retail salespersons2.Office clerks (general)3.Food preparation and serving related (including fast food)4.Cashiers5.Customer service representativesThe top performing industries in the Wichita Falls area (per percent of total employment), include:1.Management (including military/government) (approx. 28 percent) 2.Sales and related and office and administrative support occupations (approx. 24 percent) 3.Food preparation and serving related occupations (approx. 20 percent) 4.Education, training, and library occupations 5.Healthcare practitioners and technical occupations Wichita Falls employment was significantly higher (May 2014) in food preparation and serving related, sales and related, office and administrative support, education, training, and library, and healthcare sectors. Conversely, Wichita Falls employment sectors of farming, fishing, and forestry, computer and mathematical, and architectural and engineering occupations are significantly lower than the national averages. In addition to Sheppard Air Force Base, the City of Wichita Falls, Midwestern State University, and the Wichita Falls Independent School District, the largest employers in the Wichita Falls area, include the Wichita Falls Municipal Airport, United Regional Health Care System, North Texas State Hospital, Cryovac, Work Services Corporation, PPG, Inc., Alcoa Howmet, WalMart (retailer), and the James V. Alred Unit (Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison facility).
A resume is part of the process. You resume must be submitted to the employer, or included with a formal job application, before being invited to a job interview. Your resume serves as a basis for interview, is used as a post-interview reference for the recruiter, and helps justify the hiring decision. A well-written resume helps secure an interview. To be effective, resumes must include:
1. Basic criteria which:
• is focused
• is neat and clean in appearance/format
• includes a keyword summary
• includes a skills and accomplishments list.
2. All resumes must contain your:
• Contact information (phone, cell, email)
• Qualifications and Keyword Summary, Licenses and Certifications, Affiliations and Memberships, Military Service, Language Proficiencies, and “References Available Upon Request. ”
3. List all entries chronologically, from most recent to least recent.
4. Do not lie, exaggerate, or embellish the facts.
5. Check for typos, misspelled words, and formatting.
6. DO NOT INCLUDE: Your photo, personal information such as height/weight, age, date/place of birth, marital status, gender, race, or social security number.
Doing a Wichita Falls job search can be made easier by following some basic tips:
• Keep your skills and knowledge of your industry in the Wichita Falls area current – Attend skills re-training, read industry and professional reports and journals, browse online job banks (who is hiring; open positions).
• Network through Linkedin, Facebook, professional and community associations, job-hunt groups, and job fairs in the Wichita Falls area provide connections and company and job opportunity information.
• Include basic keywords that link viewers to your resume, blog, Facebook/Linkedin profile, etc. Search companies and jobs online and distribute your resume on Twitter.
• Use ALL job search tools and resources available. Search beyond job boards. Recruiters also check social media sites (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter) for candidates. Keep your network information and resume current.
• Plan and organize, and follow-up on leads. Practice interviewing.
• Update your resume and reference lists.