Jobs in Westfield, NJ
- 78,364 Resumes
- 16,072 Jobs Available
- 30,890 Population
- $79,000 Average Salary
Westfield, New Jersey is a small town with a population of 30,000. It is just 15 miles southwest of Newark and 20 miles from New York City. If you are seeking jobs in Westfield, you should begin your search be gaining an understanding of the job market and average wages. Use this guide to kick your research off.
The job market in Westfield is particularly strong. While the unemployment rate had been especially high in the last few years, it is now down to 5.2 percent, which is consistent with the national average. The average wages, however are much higher than average. On average, jobs in Westfield earn a weekly wage of $1,300. The average across the nation is $1,048. The largest industries in the area around Westfield are utilities, business services, government, and health care services. Only the hospitality field is seeing significant growth. The most common occupations in Westfield are retail salespersons and cashiers.
Your resume is one of the most important parts during your search for jobs in Westfield. This is the aspect that will usually determine whether an employer is interested or not. Follow these simple tips to ensure your resume is up to the standard.
1. Focus on your experience and accomplishments sections. These are the areas that readers are most interested in. This information should be the longest, but you should also ensure it is the strongest.
2. Be active. Emphasize the things you have done more than job descriptions, summaries, or lists of facts. It is best to start each bullet point in your experience section with a strong action verb.
3. Know what is expected of your resume. There are very specific standards in place that you need to be sure to follow. If you deviate from these expectations, some employers will not even bother reading your resume.
4. Always proofread your resume after you finish writing. It is completely unacceptable for typographical errors to make it into the final version. These will seriously harm the impression readers have of you.
5. Think about the appearance of your resume as well. Does it appear organized and neat on a surface level? The first impression employers have when looking at it is also very important.
Just like when looking in other locations, those seeking jobs in Westfield should take the time to identify which steps to take to maximize their chances of being hired. The following short guide will help you kick your job search off on the right foot.
1. Before you begin applying for positions, know the field you are entering. In addition to making you appear more knowledgeable and experienced, you will also gain valuable insight into the hiring practices, which you can leverage.
2. Keep a positive attitude. It may take longer than you hoped to find a job. When this happens, you cannot afford to become discouraged. Employers are looking for optimistic and hard working individuals.
3. Know how to use your network to your advantage. Spend time building your network and strengthening it. If you can get your application directly into the hands of hiring managers, possibly even with a recommendation from someone they know, you will be in a better position.
4. Utilize online resources. Everything from application and resume assessments to databases of employers are readily available on the Internet. Failing to take advantage of these resources is denying yourself a valuable tool.
5. Have backup options. As you search for a job, remember other opportunities that you were qualified for, but not interested in. If you cannot find the exact position you are looking for, you need to know what other positions will still benefit your long-term goals.