Jobs in West Springfield Town, MA
- 1,951,216 Jobs Available
- 28,627 Population
- $69,000 Average Salary
West Springfield Town is a community within Hampden County in South-central Massachusetts. It was originally established during the mid 1600s for it’s rich farmland. Today it’s known as the crossroads of New England. If you’re looking to relocate to the area, you need to understand the local job market. Read on for information about jobs in West Springfield Town.
West Springfield is part of the Springfield metro area, which is also grouped together with Hartford, Connecticut. Together, these two cities make up the 2nd largest urban area in New England. The region is also known as the Knowledge Corridor due to its dense concentration of hospitals, universities and liberal arts schools. The unemployment rate in this area is 5.2 percent, which is slightly lower than the national rate of 5.3. The average weekly salary for jobs in West Springfield Town is $921. Average income across the nation is slightly higher at $1,048. Healthcare and education services are the area’s two main industries for employment. A large percentage of residents are also employed within retail trade, transportation and utilities.
Before you apply to any jobs West Springfield Town, make sure your resume is professional and complete. Here are a few tips:
1. Avoid personal pronouns. Words like “I” and “my” are unnecessary and simply take up space. Try to begin your sentences with eye-catching action verbs.
2. Consider the two-page rule. You shouldn’t be going over two pages unless you’re in an occupation that requires a detailed CV. For most jobs in West Springfield Town, shorter is generally better.
3. Use your own format. With millions of resume examples floating around the web, you’d be hard pressed to find the one true template. Look at these examples, but tailor your resume to fit your specific background.
4. Quantify. Be sure to include all dates and any numbers. Employers like to know how you’re your held your previous positions. They also want to know how many employees you directed or what kind of benchmarks you helped to achieve.
5. List all education. Include all completed degrees, partial degrees and certifications.
Getting jobs in West Springfield Town requires diligence and thorough research. Consider the following general guidelines to help you find a position that matches your background:
1. Match your skillset to the job. Don’t just breeze over a job description after finding out that you have the necessary years and education behind you. Read over each bullet point and match the duties to your own skills.
2. Network. This is very important when searching for jobs in West Springfield Town where referrals are highly valued. Attend career events put on by people in your industry, and make sure you have an updated online profile.
3. Think outside the box. Don’t assume that the Internet is the only place to find work. In fact, the recruiting process is becoming more and more mobile. Take advantage of the latest job-searching apps. On the other hand, many retail and food service businesses are still happy to take walk-in applicants.
4. Don’t ignore preferred qualifications. Most positions receive dozens if not hundreds of applications. More than likely, one of those applicants will have met both the required and preferred qualifications. It's wise to assume that you need both in order to be competitive for any position.
5. Find a way to stand out. Consider being more transparent in your interviews or more candid in your cover letter. Try to think of ways that you can break the mold. It might be that simple second glance that gets your foot in the door.