Jobs in West Seneca, NY
- 161,393 Resumes
- 4,723 Jobs Available
- 45,219 Population
- $49,000 Average Salary
Located in the Buffalo area of western New York State, West Seneca is part of Erie County and borders Orchard Park and Hamburg, other suburban towns in the area. With 44,711 residents according to the 2010 census, West Seneca is a good sized city that is only a short distance from the Canadian border, while downtown Buffalo, New York, is only a 10-15 minute drive. Keep reading to get a good grip on all that West Seneca has to offer its job seekers, in terms of average salaries, common occupations and more.
With its convenient location near the economically and socially lively city of Buffalo, West Seneca is an excellent place for a job search. In Erie County, the unemployment rate is 4.8 percent, compared to the national average of 5.3 percent. The major performing industry of the area is trade, transportation and utilities. Education and health services follows as a close second, and experienced a growth of 4.1 percent between 2014-2015. Government ranks third, followed by professional and business services, and then leisure and hospitality. Retail salespersons are the top occupation, followed by cashiers and food prep and service workers. In Erie County, the average weekly wage for all workers is $885, which can be compared to the national average of $1,048.
While a resume is the ultimate document of professional self-expression, make sure it adheres to certain accepted guidelines in order to be taken seriously by employers. Here are some ideas to ensure that your resume passes their inspection with flying colors.
1. Frame everything within your resume using your accomplishments, emphasizing the out of the ordinary things you achieved through every experience.
2. Start with a resume wizard or design template, but don’t be afraid to change it up so that it doesn’t look identical to everybody else’s.
3. If you’re building your first resume or are just fresh out of ideas, try using a thought-provoking resume worksheet that will jolt your brain for past experiences to highlight.
4. When listing jobs, follow this format: title or position, employer name, employer city/state and dates of employment. Never include salary information on your resume.
5. While hobbies aren’t usually appropriate to include on a resume, hiring managers love to see sports or academic achievements, which show drive and competitiveness.
Finding jobs in West Seneca is a task best suited to those who are determined, creative and persistent. Brush up on the following job search hints for handy advice to make your hunt easier.
1. While more and more people have realized the importance of a career than energizes and inspires, employees have also realized that these jobs can be hard to come by. In the meantime, don’t turn down the possibility of temporary work or project-based tasks that can tide you over between jobs.
2. Ask yourself what mental ‘muscle’ you need to exercise in the job hunting process. Perhaps you need to gain the discipline it takes to work on a job search daily, or maybe you should strive to gain confidence by talking to new people about your quest.
3. Don’t shut down the possibility of starting your own business, taking on your own clients or becoming self-employed. Whether it’s for the interim or the long-term, entrepreneurship can be a great option for those who are proactive self-starters.
4. Employers value follow-up skills even more in the new economy, when they are faced with stacks of resumes and applications. Check in with an employer after the interview to verify that they remember you and have your resume on hand.
5. Use the time that you get in an interview to prove to the hiring manager that you can be a valuable asset to the company. Interviewers are likely to be especially impressed if you demonstrate how you can cut down company spending or boost revenue.